5.0 out of 5 stars I'll hack your arm off and stomp on your head., 4 Dec 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox One) (Game)
I really loved this game, it's the first game I got for my Xbox one...Okay, that's a lie, it came with Forza, but I haven't played that yet.

Anyway, the story mode on this game is amazing, the graphics are absolutely stunning, it's a bit too easy if I'm honest though, I played my first playthrough on Centurion difficulty (the hardest setting before unlocking legendary) I then did the second on legendary, and while some of the boss fights were quite a bit harder, they really weren't too frustrating. The game IS very short, I did both playthroughs in three days, and had a bash on multiplayer too, the multiplayer so far has been enjoyable, you fight waves of enemies off while trying to do tasks at the same time, you can upgrade your character and stuff, it was fun, but I really enjoyed the campaign more.

Okay so the story isn't really that unique, it's kind of a mish mash of a few well known stories. What I thought was funny was the way all the British soldiers in it have quite heavy northern accents (Yorkshire/Cumbria) and then the Romans, for some reason, have southern English accents (upper class London). I understand we don't want them speaking Latin with subtitles, but I just thought the accent differentiating the two groups was funny. There's some really good voice acting in it, and the facial expressions and movements are remarkable, even when not in cut-scenes like when I cut some guys arm off (a lot of arms get cut off in it) he was rolling around on the ground screaming, and his face looked hilarious, like he was really screaming (I'm a bitch, I know).

The combat is amazing, it is repetitive, but it's fun enough to not be a problem. It's a "block, hit, hit, hit, block, parry, hit - Hit button for finishing move - do finishing move sequence" deal, but the graphics make it so enjoyable. It's very violent, but I like that lol, and when you get the hang of it, it pays off. Run into a big crowd of six crazy guys with machetes and giant hammers and start hacking limbs off "BOOM" - knock him back with a shield, HACK SLASH BLOCK PARRY then EXECUTION TIME - KNEE HIM IN THE STOMACH, SMACK HIM IN THE FACE WITH THE SHIELD, CHOP HIS ARM OFF, SLASH HIS THROAT, THEN STOMP ON HIS HEAD WHEN HE FALLS - - What's not to like about that? It's also a reason I'm grateful the game isn't overly long, those two playthroughs were enough to make me feel like I got my moneys worth, and now I'll be moving on... I'll probably go back and playthrough again just to try for some of the achievements I missed, but not right now.

If you want a game that will last you tens of hours, this isn't for you, and if you're worried about not getting your moneys worth, I can totally understand that, and would recommend getting it when the price drops. But if you were thinking of getting it, knowing how long it is, and what it's like, and think it sounds like something you're after, I say get it, I don't have a complaint with it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Dec 2013 12:19:20 GMT
Last edited by the author on 11 Dec 2013 12:20:07 GMT
C. P. Dyckes says:
Haven't played the game, and probably won't buy based on such a short SP game, but thanks for a brilliant, funny review!! Might just buy if the price drops significantly.

Posted on 8 Jan 2014 20:40:30 GMT
The accents are a common trick when it comes to film and games, Southern accents are normally used by the more sophisticated characters so they appear civilised and clever whilst Northern accents are used by savages etc because they sound a bit more 'common' (Im Northern so im allowed to say that! ;). Its the same reason why you never see James Bond with a Lancashire accent.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2014 13:16:41 GMT
M. Cross says:
Sean Connery????

Posted on 11 Mar 2014 21:33:14 GMT
Timelord-007 says:
Hack off your arm's & stamp on my head sounds like fun lol.

Great review of a brilliant game my dear.

Posted on 7 Aug 2014 10:29:35 BDT
Wayne says:
LOL, at the comments above me. Not meaning to bash the reviewer but there was nothing amazing about this review and the if it wasn't for the fact the reviewer was female no one would have commented :)

I can picture the guys above salavating "oh my god, oh my god, oh my god, girl gamer, girl gamer" ha ha ha

I've just picked this game up myself today so looking forward to getting home after work and giving it a bash :S

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2014 14:04:46 BDT
When those guys commented, there weren't many reviews up apart from a couple of good ones, and some obvious 1 star trolling, so maybe they thought mine was the most helpful at the time :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (171 customer reviews)

£49.99 £27.99