ARRAY(0xaa5a67c8)

5.0 out of 5 stars F.U.N.E.M?, 12 Oct 2006
This review is from: And It's Goodnight From Him: The Autobiography of the Two Ronnies (Hardcover)
(I am sure there are some people out there who will get the reference above.)

I was deeply privileged to be allowed to read the manuscript for this wonderful autobiography due to my job in publishing. From the moment I heard about this book at a conference months and months ago, I was just itching to get my hands on it. I was not disappointed in any way!

I have fond memories of my childhood, visiting my grandparent's home and sitting by the fire in my pyjamas and dressing gown watching episodes of 'The Two Ronnies'.

Both Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbett were icons to me, not just because of their performances as comedy geniuses, but also because of their warmth and genuine personalities which shone through their bespectacled faces.

In 2005, I was heartbroken to hear the news of Ronnie Barker's death as though a member of my own family had passed away. (My grandfather also passed away that year and I will always have the two men intrinsically linked in my mind.)

Ronnie Corbett's deeply affectionate biography is an insightful, emotional and genuinely funny portrait of two of the most remarkable men in British comedy. Beautifully constructed, the story takes us from their humble beginnings through the remarkable coincidences of their early lives before they even met, onto the success of their time on 'The Frost Report' which eventually led to one of the longest running comedy series in television history, the eponymously titled 'The Two Ronnies'.

For anyone who has had an affection for these two fine gentlemen of comedy, you cannot be unmoved by the chapters concerning Ronnie Barker's illness and eventual passing. I had tears in my eyes as Mr Corbett tells us of the memorial service and the tributes from their peers and friends.

This wonderfully frank volume is essential reading for any fan of British comedy and anyone who would like to know more about the comedy geniuses who are Ronnie Corbett and Ronnie Barker.

This beautifully presented hardback book is illustrated with photographs, both black & white and colour.

[Add comment]