4.0 out of 5 stars You won't be disappointed..., 3 Oct 2013
This review is from: Marantz TT5005 Turntable with Built-In Phono Equalizer - Black (Electronics)
Thankfully I kept the majority of my vinyl from circa 1972 - 1990. However I always had a troubled relationship with vinyl in that the crackles pops and hisses were part of the phonograph format and definely not part of the recorded sound that the artist in question intended me to hear. So around 1990 I became a devotee to the relatively new digital age of the CD and later the minidisc. Saying that - some of the early transfers of vinyl to CD were simply atrocious.

However around late last year a wave of nostalgia swept over me - so I got my Dual turntable out of storage only to discover that the 33&1/3rpm and 45rpm changer was not working. Those helpful chaps @ the Electronic Centre in Belfast tried to repair it but could not get the required part.

So the search began for a new turntable.

I came across the Marantz TT5005 and tentatively purchased one from Amazon - best price etc etc.

Firstly I liked the idea of a built in pre-amp. So after putting the belt on the spindle and chose which equaliser on/off connection I was going to experiment ( firstly the phono aux <off> - this is situated under the platter ) I connected the TT5005 to an old Trio amp and Mission speakers - the sound was superb. Then with the flick of the equaliser switch ( to the aux connection this time <on> ) I tried it with my ever faithful Cambridge Audio power amp and B&W speakers - wow!! - the clarity - overwhelming.

Aesthetically - the TT5005 is a stylish little number and extremely easy to operate. There's a start/stop button which after setting the 7" or 12" option does all the work for you. It comes with a 7" spindle if your 7"'s are missing their centres. It also arrived with a cool white mat which you can reverse depending on which Marantz logo you prefer. Finally a dust cover gives the TT5005 a sleek finish.

During my search for a new turntable I checked out other cheaper turntables (£50 - £120) and the more elite (£200 - £300). The cheaper models were sub-standard - best to avoid - the higher priced models were fine except you have to change the belt drive every time you wanted to play a 7" or 12" record on some models and also let go of up to £100+. I have a lot of 7" and 12" singles ( some of which are not available on CD) so this option was ruled out.

So for the price - the Marantz TT5005 is ideal and frankly a bargain regarding it's performance and reliability. The only function I miss from the old vinyl days is an arm lever when placing the stylus on a particuliar track hence the missing star.

If you are considering revisiting your vinyl collection - treat yourself to one of these. You won't be disappointed.

Incidentally - I really must have mellowed or else CD's have secretly conditioned me - but I can now enjoy the crackles and pops as part of the listening process - mind you - only just!!

Glad tidings.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Jan 2014 16:36:00 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Jan 2014 16:51:53 GMT
User201202 says:
Thanks for informative review. Can you tell me, would I be able to play this through my stereo radio using a RCA to jack cable? Like you, I'm succumbing to a sudden longing to hear my old record collection again, but don't want to have to buy an amp and speakers. The (Pure) radio has very good sound, good enough for my trip down Memory Lane. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Apr 2014 16:32:08 BDT
Hi

Apologies - I've only just seen this message. I presume you have already figured this is ok to do. My friend does a similiar process with a small set of Sony portable speakers and even though they're portable - the sound is great.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Apr 2014 19:09:45 BDT
User201202 says:
Thank very much! The confirmation is much appreciated.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (12 customer reviews)

£169.90 £149.95