3.0 out of 5 stars And aside from the interface....what else does it do??, 21 Oct 2007
This review is from: Apple iPod touch 16GB without Software Updates (Electronics)
First things first - I have only ever owned a 4Gb iPod Mini, and am in general not a gadget/MP3 freak. Indeed the Mini has lain in a corner gathering dust more often than not.

Well now I've just stumped up for a 16Gb iPod. I spotted this in a shop, picked it up and was amazed at the interface and ease of use. It even picked up a local wifi network and I could browse the Internet with it.

So now I've got one home, and I'm wondering what else it does. OK, it plays videos, but will I really enjoy spending up to 120 minutes watching a 3 1/2" screen? I guess I won't know until I try.

Will surfing too be pleasurable? Well on current use, it's fun, but you need to be close to a wifi point, and again happy with the mini screen.

Oh, and it plays MP3's and a host of other formats.

And that's it. So now I've got yet another gadget to haul around as well as my regular phone (which happens to be Internet enabled), and am wondering whether I should've hung in there until I could get my hands on an iPhone.

One major niggle, there are next to no instructions with the device, aside from a 'Get Me Started' guide. If you are new to Apple, iTunes and the rest (such people do exist - I'm one of them) then it may not be plain sailing getting things up and running.

I also haven't a clue how to port a DVD to the iTouch, and there are no instructions even hinting how to do this. There are apparently applications on the Web that help, but they don't seem entirely straightforward, and are not AFAIK 'approved products', being developed by interested hackers and consumers.

I appear to now be the proud owner of a MP3 player with a largeish screen to view the album art (not that I ever do), a video player which I may somehow be able to port some of my DVD's to, once I've worked out how, and an Internet browser provided I'm within range of a wifi point and don't mind browsing with such a small screen.

A case methinks of style over substance. Next year of course the iPhone Generation 2 or 3 will do what the iTouch does, with the benefit of a phone, and for cheaper. Oh well.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Nov 2007 03:03:49 GMT
M. Smith says:
Methinks you should perhaps have put more thought into buying it if it's atteactions are so superficial. I'm guessing the salesperson at the apple store didn't hold you at gunpoint and demand the 270 from you! If I had an iPod mini that I'd never used, then I'd wonder whether the iPod touch might ultimately be consigned to the same fate. I'm also struggling to comprehend how Apple could have made iTunes any more user friendly. Everyone starts off as a virgin, and I've not met anyone who has anything but praise for the software.
Do yourself a favour and donate your iPod touch to someone less fortunate than yourself (any person not fortunate enough to own one), and buy yourself a cassette player.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Nov 2007 12:57:04 GMT
John Self says:
I agree M. Smith. Accusations of 'style over substance' are usually made by people who understand neither. The iPod touch is style with substance - the browser, pinch-pull technique for photos, flicking through albums and playing songs are all extremely intuitive even though my last iPod was a black and white scroll wheel version.

I don't really see the point of a review which complains about the product only on the basis that it's "yet another gadget I have to haul around." Isn't that the reviewer's fault? And as far as hauling around goes, the slimness and lightness of the iPod touch make that no big deal.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (81 customer reviews)

Out of stock