5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best value CPU on the market for budget rigs., 8 Jun. 2013
This review is from: AMD FX6300 Black Edition 6 Core (3.5/4.1GHz, 8MB Level 3 Cache, 6MB Level 2 Cache, Socket AM3+, 95W, Retail Boxed) (Personal Computers)
I bought this cpu for my latest cheap gaming build, and was probably the most expensive element of the computer (I managed to get a really good deal on a second hand HD 6950) but I would say the cpu is one of the best value parts. When I bought it it was just under £100, which compared to the Intel i5 models (Intel Core i5-3450) that benchmark around the same performance was a good sized saving of over £50. Another good aspect of the FX6300 is that by changing the settings in the BIOS, you can enable turbo mode, which is a kind of inbuilt overclocking feature which enables the cpu to step up it's clock speed without you having to manually adjust the multiplier.
Benchmarking scores using Passmark's Performance Test with and without turbo
Standard clock: 6534
Turbo: 6985
The cpu is really quite powerful, especially in comparison to my previous cpu which benchmarked at around one third of the FX 6300, and makes a really good upgrade for people like me who have left it a bit late to upgrade to more recent generations of processors. However, the only issue I had with this cpu is that the stock heatsink and fan they supply with it is absolutely minute! it's an 80mm amd fan on an 80mm alloy heatsink with pre-applied generic thermal paste. I'm not really sure this cooler provides much benefit in the way of temps, and I only used it for a couple of days because I replaced it with the Arctic cooling A30, which is complete overkill because It's probably one of the largest coolers I've ever seen. At the moment (in summer, using turbo mode) when the fans are on silent settings, temps during normal usage are around 31 degrees, when the fans are on 100% speed, it takes it really close to room temperature, like mid 20's, which is very impressive in my books! Even when heavily overclocking and under load (using prime95), I've never seen the temperatures exceed 51 degrees, so very impressive stuff (I'm running a prime 95 blend test now with stock clocks and it's been running for about 20 minutes and it's at 40 degrees). On a side note, the coolest I've ever seen the cpu temps were 12 degrees just after boot during the winter when it was freezing outside. Although it should definitely be said I'm not sure how safe overclocking would be with the stock heatsink.

Anyway,I would definitely recommend buying this cpu, because at £90 it's spectacularly good value. It's only 95W TDP, so doesn't require heavy duty cooling solutions and requires less juice from the power supply than the octo core models. If you are in need of something with more power then you might want to shell out 30-60 more pounds and upgrade to the 8350 or 8320 (the 6300 is more powerful than the 8100), but for me at least this wasn't necessary and just slightly too expensive. I think the 6300 will last me for a good few years, and I definitely can't see it struggling with any games that I throw at it. In combination with my HD 6950, they have managed to hold every game that I've thrown at it on max quality settings flawlessly. So, if you are on a budget, (I managed to build my pc for a total of £350 because I got my case and the HD 6950 for £40 off a friend who had upgraded and left them behind.) and you are going to be doing relatively cpu intensive activities like gaming or digital art projects and don't want to be bothered by lag or compromising lower quality settings then the FX6300 is for you. Also, if you are looking for a replacement cooling solution for the tiny heatsink, the A30 is a great enthusiasts cooler (40 degrees at full load is great) and only cost me £30. However, I have also tried the Arctic Alpine 64 Pro rev. 2 on it, and although it's only designed for 90w TDP processors, it handled the temps nicely (and was definitely better than the stock heatsink) and only costs £10. (it's also very quiet) Sorry for the long review, but if it helps anyone to decide whether they want to buy it then it's worth it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Jun 2013 14:40:07 BDT
ProjectArius says:
For anyone who is interested, my finished rig turned out as follows:
Case - Cooler Master 690 II Nvidia Edition - £10 (second hand)
Motherboard - Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 - £56
Processor - AMD fx-6300 - £106
RAM - 8GB Crucial Ballistix 1600Mhz (Tracer) - £57
Power Supply - Corsair Builder Series 600W - £54
Graphics Card - 2GB Msi HD 6950 (Twin Frozr III Edition, second hand) - £30
Case Fans - 4 Arctic F12 PWM - £18
CPU Cooling - Arctic A30 - £30
Hard Drive - Seagate 500GB Momentus XT (Hybrid drive) - Free (Taken from my old rig)
Total cost - £361
Not bad, right?

Posted on 10 Jul 2013 16:02:10 BDT
vinally says:
Great review, helpful.

Do you think the stock HSF on this CPU is ok for a gaming pc that will not be doing any overclocking? I don't really want to pay extra for a better HSF but am sold on getting this CPU.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jul 2013 18:22:47 BDT
ProjectArius says:
I think if you are in a cool environment or have good case ventilation, you will be ok. But I would still air on the safe side and invest in an aftermarket cooler to prevent it from running hot. In my experience the 6300 doesn't generate an excessive amount of heat, but if you put it in your system and it hits above 60-65C on load for some reason then I would advise on another heatsink. :] (I think the max safe temps are around 70C, but I've never had temperatures that high and I wouldn't expect them to get that high with normal usage)

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jul 2013 21:09:47 BDT
vinally says:
Ok, thanx for the feedback.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Oct 2013 22:04:43 BDT
johnson says:
I don't suppose all this would fit inside a novatech midtower red LED case. I am just building my first gaming computer so need some advice on what heatsink to use as i have no clue. Thanks for telling me about that Arctic cooling A30 its really helped and i think i will definitely use it. Finally does this come with a motherboard or do i have to find one? And if it does can i fit an extra AMD graphics card anyway just to speed up my gaming? I am looking at this graphics card MSI AMD R7750 2GB DDR3 PCI-E Graphics Card If you could tell me if these parts will work it would be very helpful.

Posted on 27 Oct 2013 15:50:16 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 27 Oct 2013 15:53:50 GMT]

Posted on 27 Oct 2013 16:00:23 GMT
SilvaSurfer says:
Good review for anyone considering this cpu. I've been looking at AMD FX6300 BE for a while and it has come down in price by 25% which makes it excellent value for money, the price difference is huge, about £100 more for the intel. Is it definitely benchmarking near Intel Core i5-3450?

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Nov 2013 17:09:28 GMT
DC says:
yes as long as your not over cloocking the cpu the stock cooler will do the job
‹ Previous 1 Next ›