5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds like a hummingbird on speed and will remove any dangling appendages given half the chance., 13 April 2013
This review is from: New Version Upgraded Hubsan X4 V2 H107L 2.4G 4CH RC Quadcopter RTF (Toy)
So I've been after a quadcopter for a while. Never flown one before, actually never flown anything before (unless you count paper planes) so I wasnt sure what to expect when I ordered this from hong kong.

After a few days of waiting it finally arrived today and I set about ignoring the manual, charging the lipo battery with the included USB charger and trying to find some AAA batteries to fit in the controller.

After raiding the two cordless phones in the house for batteries and familiarising myself with the playstation shaped controller I felt I was confident to have a go.

One thing that may be in the manual that I didnt read is how to recalibrate the gyro so that the second you give it a bit of power it wont cut your face off, but a quick search on youtube furnished me with a helpful video to do just that (recalibrate, not cut your face off).

It took a few attempts of hovering which when I fly resembles bunny hopping across the carpet before I got the hang of the oh so sensitive controls. This thing is TINY! I mean it easily fits in the palm of your hand and as such, if the cat farts in another room then the air disturbance is likely to knock it off course a bit.

Spend the time to learn the controls and you'll soon be able to follow pets and the the misses around the house with it, with only the occasional limb chopping accident.

The propellers are designed to detach in a severe impact (at least I hope they are otherwise I've broken this) but easily pop back on. The legs as well have a bit of flex in them and a joint on the underside that pops apart if the cat isnt around to break its fall.

Charging time is around 30 minutes and that gives you about 10 mins of flight time, but I did find that this is really determined by how you fly. I tend to use a lot of throttle to get me out of those ooops moments, and as such I was getting less flight time than when I had gotten a bit more used to the controls and was able to fly smoother.

You can get replacement parts for all the things that are likely to break, such as the propellers (a spare set is included), the airframe, the battery (this wont generally break, but you get the the idea). Unfortunately the site I got it from didnt seem to stock spare faces, fingers, toes, testicles, or cats, so I'll just have to be extra specially careful flying it in close quarters in the house.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 May 2013 21:26:01 BDT
A. Burton says:
Great review thanks :)

Posted on 12 Jul 2013 12:24:55 BDT
malovern says:
You owe me a new keyboard from laughing and coffee after that review - excellent sir!

Posted on 20 Jul 2013 14:58:14 BDT
Adam V-S says:
Thanks very much for an informative and highly amusing review. You have a very understanding family and pets. I build and fly big, hairy ones of these with cameras underneath for a living and my business partner has insisted we buy two Hubsans for training purposes. Or as I like to think of it, 'dicking around in the house'.

Posted on 10 Sep 2013 11:10:34 BDT
best review I've read !! :-)

Posted on 6 Dec 2013 20:32:56 GMT
paintbluecat says:
Thank you for this wonderfully amusing review - it gave me a few chuckles!

Posted on 12 Dec 2013 10:39:04 GMT
5 star review! Wish all reviews were like this...

Posted on 15 May 2014 18:11:47 BDT
absolutely brilliant review, you have made my day, plus i think i will buy one of these little quadcopters as they seem to be fun, thanks for a very honest review keep up the good work :)

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jan 2015 20:56:28 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Jan 2015 20:56:53 GMT
I'm planning to build a big one with all the bits and bobs and bought this as a training aid. Turns out I REALLY needed it.
And truly it STINGS when it catches you unawares!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (419 customer reviews)

£44.99 £29.00