5.0 out of 5 stars Kenwood KMC010 Chef Titanium, Brushed Metal, 27 Oct 2012
This review is from: Kenwood KMC010 Chef Titanium Stand Mixer, Silver (Kitchen & Home)
Edit 24 January 2013
Since Writing this review,the item description has been updated, and now tells what is in the box, and mentions the food processor and blender. However, at the time of my purchase it did not.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to clarify which machine I purchased before going on to write my review, because I was confused, and the differences are misleading and not well documented here on Amazon. If you are thinking about buying this machine, there are things you need to look at... Bear with me on this.

This is the machine I purchased...

Kenwood KMC010 Chef Titanium, Brushed Metal

The prices was £379.99. Date 26 October 2012. (I know Amazon will delete this and put three little dots but at the time of writing it is £50 LESS than the other one I was contemplating...)

Kenwood Chef Titanium KM010 4.6 Litre Kitchen Machine

KM010 came complete with Food Processor attachment, and liquidiser and was £50 more...
KMC010 - £50 less, says it is a newer version of the above, but same power and appearance but just said that Blender and food processor were available as new attachments. AND it listed those attachments with totally wrong part numbers, that dont exist on the Kenwood Website : [...]

Even the Kenwood website doesn't list them in their "what's in the box" tab for the KMC010 and

This is what the Kenwood FAQ said about the Chef and Major:
"Q: Can I get a Food Processor for my Chef / Major so I don't need two separate machines?
A: Yes, but it's only available for the KM010, KM020 and KM023 models. For all other models the liquidiser, mincer and slicer and shredder will carry out some of the functions of a food processor."

Imagine my surprise therefore.... and DELIGHT when my KMC010 arrived with both food processor attachment and liquidizer!! I am very pleased, since after ordering I had grave concerns that I had made a mistake I would regret.

OK, that out of the way..

This is a really solid machine, its heavy so you won't want to be moving it in and out of a cupboard, really you won't. Make space on your worktop. Its very beautiful and sleek and I can't bring myself to cover it up with one of those square covers, so at the moment it's just draped in the plastic bag that wrapped it in the box. Oh, and while we are talking about the box... my goodness, its a big box. The delivery man said "I'm glad you were in, I was not looking forward to putting it back in the van if you weren't!" I am going to keep the box to store my Super Kingsize Duvet in over the summer... It will fit nicely, and maybe even the pillows as well!

The liquidizer jug comes in a separate box, inside the main box, as does the food processor. They are every bit as sturdily made as the main machine. The plastic of the food processor is NOT flimsy (as one of the reviewers said) and the glass liquidiser jug is heavy and thick and solid and will be quite happy crunching ice, I am not a bit worried it will break.

The K beater, Balloon whisk and Dough Hook are all very strong and heavy, and smooth shiny and well made. This is a MIGHTY solid machine.

Each part has a well illustrated little manual and there is quite a thick book in the box too, with 180 recipes using all parts of the machine (and some that dont come included, like the pasta maker) and lots of other information like the available attachments, and how they work and a glossary of cookery terminology.

Also included, two CDs.. One which I think is the recipe book on CD (which I couldn't get to run on my computer - I think it needs Windows XP Service Pack 2, which I am not prepared to install). The other CD is the video which is available on Youtube, which you have probably seen if you have researched the brand.

The power cord is about an arm length of cable, and will push into a recess in the bottom of the machine to take up the cable when not in use. There is no storage hole to put the plug (unless perhaps there is something underneath... I havent checked and anyway its too heavy to heave about).

I am really happy with this machine, and I know I am going to get a lot of satisfaction from using it. I have already made pastry, sliced onions and ground coffee beans, and the power is awesome... Probably more than I will need most of the time, but when I come to try making bread that will put it to the test, and I am sure it will not even get out of breath! I will update when I have had some experience with using it, but for now, there is no regret.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 27 November 2012

Been using my KMC010 for a couple of weeks now, and have made pasta dough, meringues, soup, smoothies, cakes and biscuits, using all parts of the machine.

On my first attempt at bread I found that the dough hook seemed to gather the lump onto itself and then just spin it around without actually kneading, but on the second try a wetter dough worked better and kneaded well. This may have been my error since I am not experienced with bread at all. The machine worked well second time, and is quiet enough not to disturb the neighbours. Certainly it took bread in its stride.

I also made pastry using the food processor attachment which also worked fine, with no overheating, which was the death of my previous food processor.

No complaints at all about the working of the machine.

I applied for my free attachment, asking for first choice of the Ice cream maker, but I received the Pasta Maker (yesterday). Not complaining though, as its is a free gift, so it looks like I will be learning to make pasta soon. I have since found a fantastic ice cream recipe from Mary Berry that doesnt need a frozen bowl or any periodic stirring while it freezes, so I am not sad - just letting you know that you might not get your first choice from the offer.

Happy Christmas to all who read and contributed to what has become a little comment club here. I hope you are all as happy as I am with the Kenwood.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 61 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Nov 2012 14:24:05 GMT
J. Bunney says:
Thanks for the clarification! I was struggling to determine if a food processor/liquidiser is included with this model. I went to look at it in John Lewis and still could not be sure! As it is £120 cheaper on Amazon, this, together with your review which answered my questions exactly, has persuaded me to go ahead and I have just ordered my KMC010, can't wait for it to arrive!

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Nov 2012 10:44:34 GMT
Sarah says:
yay!! good for you, and I am glad my review helped with your choice. For the price, and with these attachments, I think its a Very Good Deal. It is very confusing. I hope you get the same box full of goodies that I got. Enjoy your machine :) - dont forget to order your free attachment (choice of 4) before the end of the year. I ordered the Ice Cream Maker.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Nov 2012 09:39:59 GMT
J. Bunney says:
Hello Sarah - WOW - received it in 3 days by courier although I used free super saver delivery - fantastic Amazon service, as always. It does have all the goodies! I haven't had a chance to use it yet, just wanted you to know how pleased I am, it looks amazing. I am also going to order the ice cream maker freebie.
Will report back my view on usage, when I have had the chance to experiment, my thanks to you again, Jill B

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Nov 2012 10:16:00 GMT
Sarah says:
Oh that is fantastic Jill, thanks for letting me know you got it all.. Things do change quickly here on Amazon and I was hoping that I didnt just get lucky. The thought of you having to return the machine, or put up with half the goodies, gave me a little flutter when you said you were ordering. Anyway - now all is well and its a nice feeling to know that you are doing what I am doing... going into your kitchen and giving a little smile at the sight of your shiny machine sitting there waiting to be 'unleashed' . Sisters in Baking! Good luck and have fun :) You have the whole weekend to run amok in the kitchen :)

Posted on 14 Nov 2012 16:29:10 GMT
bendy says:
Can't believe the prices of these only a year on from when I got my KM010 for £275!! Deflation in electronics my elbow!

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Nov 2012 20:44:28 GMT
Sarah says:
You were indeed fortunate. For anyone interested, there is a great little website for tracking Amazon prices. Check out http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/

Posted on 15 Nov 2012 11:00:58 GMT
Eddie says:
Thanks for review Sarah, just had a quick question that I've struggled to find the answer to elsewhere. Apparently, the KM010 is painted silver on metal, whereas the KMC010 says brushed metal. I was hoping you might be able to tell me if it did appear to be as it says? i.e. - Brushed Metal, rather than silver metal effect painted on? I've read on KM010 review comments that the paint sometimes gets chipped off, so would brushed metal sounds better.

Thanks in advance.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Nov 2012 17:31:16 GMT
Sarah says:
Hi Eddie, I dont think its bare metal.. it looks like paint to me. Like a silver car would look. Not like a stainless steel sink. Without chipping at it, its hard to tell, but I would put my money on paint. I dont really care though, I dont intend to chip at it, and it wouldnt effect the work of the machine if I did by accident. I hope it doesnt put you off too much. Sorry I cant be more definite.

regards, Sarah

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Nov 2012 18:08:44 GMT
Eddie says:
Thanks Sarah. Just being vain. Went ahead and ordered either way. Useful to get ur comments and will just have to not bash it too much. Can't wait to try it out! Cheers

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Nov 2012 20:54:55 GMT
Sarah says:
No problem Eddie. On reflection (no pun intended) I think its better being painted, since it will show less fingermarks. The bowl, for instance, is shiny stainless steel and shows marks when you have been using it with buttery hands.. I polish it dry when I have used it. So overall it may work out better being paint than the brushed metal. I think it just means that it has the appearance of brushed metal in the paint.

I am quite chuffed (Brit word for pleased, in case you arent British) about this little discussion group we have been forming here, having come out of my desire to spread my discovery about the KMC010... The thought of this eclectic little group of users baking away and admiring the machine... I feel quite a connection.

Have fun and thanks for joining in :)

‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (169 customer reviews)

Reviewer