4.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010, 16 Oct 2013
This review is from: Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010 (2 PCs, 1 User) (DVD-ROM)
You might think that buying the last version of Office when the 2013 version [and Office 365] is currently on sale is not a good move, but it was a very deliberate decision having first tried the latest version and hated it. Like millions of users I've been using Office for donkey's years and know where everything is and how it works. The 2003 version has served me well but with support ending next April [along with Windows XP] I simply had to bite the bullet and update.

Firstly I did not want to either work or save my documents "in the cloud" so Office 365 did not appeal.

Secondly I never buy software until the bugs have been ironed out so spending a heap of cash on Office 2013 did not appeal; which left me with Office 2010.

Thirdly I needed to install it on both my desktop and laptop so a download version was not the answer. Buying a "traditional" boxed version of proven 2010 [for 2 PC's] which includes a software DVD was the obvious and most sensible choice, and this I did.

So am I pleased with my choice? In a nutshell, yes but with a couple of reservations! To its credit the new software loaded quickly, easily, and without a single glitch. It automatically imported all my document locations and, more essentially, also imported all my emails/contacts/and diary dates into Outlook - which surprised me a little.

Office is my lifeline, and has been for well over a decade. In Word I write documents and letters, prepare reports, and even design the odd leaflet and poster. Outlook keeps my diary and reminds me of appointments and things I have to do and also keeps track of all my contacts. Crucially Outlook also provides [in one place] my platform for email communication by routing emails from everyone into one single space. The other programs in the suit I use only infrequently so these did not enter the decision making process. Whenever you update software getting everything working easily is a blessing - and this is where we come to the "but".

Obviously, as time goes by, both hardware and software have to change to take advantage of new developments and incorporate new features we didn't realize we needed before - and Office 2010 is no exception to the rule. Office is a work based suite of programs that millions of people have used for years, and know intimately, or so I thought! But Office 2010 incorporates new toolbars, functions, and controls that look nothing like they did before. Whilst this means nothing to those using, or learning, the programs for the first time it's a big [and rather unwelcome] step to experienced users who rightly expect to simply "load and shoot".

If you are an experienced Office user you have the option to either find where everything now is [imagine if car makers put the brake on the right and the horn on the handbrake] and what the new icons mean or find a workaround. I chose the latter route and simply downloaded and installed Classic View for Office - instantly the old "classic" toolbar and icons are back where they should be, thank goodness, and I can work again easily and automatically!

So "yes" this version of Office 2010 is a good buy especially for those with more than one PC, and having the software on hand in DVD form is always re-assuring. There are still a couple of niggling anomalies like having to work in "compatibility mode" if you want to retain the old "doc" file format but generally Microsoft have done a good job in updating this software suite.

Maybe I'll load a spare laptop with Windows 8 and Office 365 and play with the metro interface whenever I have a few spare minutes - or perhaps I'll just keep going as I am and use Office 2010 until I retire!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]