5.0 out of 5 stars Lumix FZ100 - a fab camera .., 14 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Panasonic Lumix FZ100 14.1MP Digital Camera - Black (3.0 inch TFT LCD Display, LEICA DC Lens with 24x Optical Zoom and Full HD Movie) (Electronics)
I bought this camera just over a week ago - and it's a beauty. The service and trade-in I got from UK Digital Cameras was second to none. I previously had a FZ28 but delayed upgrading to the FZ35/38 as I was waiting for Panasonic to come up with a model with a free angle LCD screen as I wanted more versatility and protection. I have taken many superb shots over the past few days and the FZ100 does not disappoint.

OK, it's certainly not the cheapest bridge on the market but the specs are tremendous and in my view it's worth paying the extra for this model as opposed to the FZ45 which Panasonic also have launched. (It'll be interesting to see how the comparative sales go in relation to these two models - I can't quite understand the marketing logic of bringing them out at the same time) Of course the FZ100 has full 1080i video capacity and the HD results are stunning when played back on my Dell Studio laptop especially with full stereo sound. You can even program it to muffle wind noise which I have found extremely useful because I live by the sea .. and it's October! I have no problem with the manual being electronic and downloaded to my computer. A lite version of the manual is supplied in paper form which is more than adequate to get you up and running if you are a complete novice. Once you've spent time personalising your camera menu then the rest is a breeze. If you are used to Lumix then the menu won't seem at all complicated.

The Leica lens is in a class of its own and I have had absolutely no problems with either halo or fringing effects. Likewise I can't complain about noise levels at the higher ISO settings because I don't tend to use them and noise can always be sorted out through photo editing.

My one and only criticism is on the layout front. The one-touch video recording button is placed on the top behind the zoom control and sometimes it is hard to find with my finger as I don't want to take my eye away from the EVF. Similarly I have found it difficult to locate the button to press again to cease recording without taking my eye away. The simple answer, I have found is to use the free angle screen for one-touch recording. I believe the FZ35/38 had this button on the back of the camera which would seem a more logical place to be. Having said that, this doesn't detract from the overall quality and functionality of a superb piece of kit. I have no hesitation in recommending this camera.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 15 Oct 2010 11:26:09 BDT
Sam-Theo says:
ukdigitalcameras remain my preferred suppliers of cameras. Greatest plus points being their quality of service, being able to talk to them on the phone, sensible price-match and their promptness.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Oct 2010 13:45:03 BDT
M. P. Davies says:
Yes, Sam - they are good. This is the third purchase I've made with them and they are definitely my preferred seller - they didn't price match the lowest FZ100 price by a long way but I stuck with them, safe in the knowledge that they would be hassle free and I didn't have to bother to put my FZ28 on eBay - sometimes it's worth paying a bit extra!

Posted on 20 Feb 2011 19:21:42 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Feb 2011 18:11:55 GMT
Strider says:
I'd be interested in your views on what you get for the higher price on the image quality of stills relative to the FZ45.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›