1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear ..., 31 July 2013
This review is from: Doctor Who: The 4th Doctor Time Capsule [DVD] (DVD)
Having been born in 1960 I grew up with Patrick Troughton who will always be my Doctor, I think most people will agree their first Doctor tends to provoke the fondest memories. I became disillusioned when Jon Pertwee took over the role, the Doctor exiled to Earth because of budget cuts at the BBC so we hardly ever got to see the interior of the TARDIS, the transference from B & W to colour which really did show up the cheapness of the production & poor special effects, a silly yellow car called Bessie, & a ridiculous flying car (it looked just like "Supercar" from Gerry Anderson's show of the same name) called WHO1 eventually did for me. The reason for this preamble is because of J.P. I missed most of Tom Baker's tenure. A friend of mine who was a huge fan convinced me to take a fresh look as he couldn't find enough superlatives to describe the fourth Doctor so I eventually gave it another go only to be confronted with a stupid tin dog called K-9! I dipped in & out after that giving each of the new Doctor's a fair trial & thought Paul Mcgann did a superb job in "The Movie". The re-launch in 2005 truly re-ignited my love affair with the show & I have adored the betrayal of the Doctor by all three of the latest incumbents. I thought this "Time Capsule" would be a fantastic way to finally embrace Tom Baker as "The Doctor" as in hindsight I gave up on him far too readily. So I carefully watched Luke Spillane's unboxing video to get a detailed breakdown of the content, investigated the price of the items separately, read numerous reviews (both good & bad) and came to this conclusion ... you are really paying the bulk of your money for a fancy box, a printed letter, & some art cards. I will try not to cover too much of the same ground as other reviewers have done, but really, a sonic screwdriver that isn't screen accurate & an exclusive figure that isn't exclusive at all (just pull the head off the third & fourth Doctor's figures & swap them over) is a bit cheeky to my way of thinking. This isn't an introduction or immersion experience for the fourth Doctor at all but a bunch of old tat & a bit of new tat ... Time Capsule indeed ... oh, & make out it's a limited edition so people don't have the time to make an informed decision before parting with their hard earned cash. If you were thinking of spending this type of money my advice would be to pay a visit to Rubbertoe Replicas website (the official prop makers for Doctor Who) for some real gems or maybe wait until the end of October for the new 10th Doctor sonic remote which is a 100% screen prop accurate reproduction & unlike the 11th Doctor sonic remote currently available this one extends (plus it isn't a cheap plastic toy) ... you are probably already aware of all these facts but just in case some of you aren't I thought it worth mentioning. Very nice looking box though ;-)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Aug 2013 07:21:37 BDT
LeeVanNero says:
So in actual fact, you're not even a Dr Who fan at all? You simply have a childhood sentimental attachment to the second Doctor. I too grew up with Troughton, but he was not anywhere near the best Doctor, though I loved him at the time and was upset when he left, but I was only 7. Pertwee for one, was far superior, and your argument that the introduction of colour ruined the series, is frankly ridiculous imo. Looking at the surviving Troughton episodes today, it's not difficult to see why his were the most frequently junked, not that I wish to defend the BBC's totally moronic decision to destroy them. The BBC very nearly scrapped the series due to the overall failure - in terms of viewing figures - of his tenure, and indeed only carried on due to a lack of viable alternatives at the time and the fact that they could begin again in colour.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Aug 2013 13:41:58 BDT
thomsonjon says:
Why on Earth you would suggest I am not a fan of the programme is beyond me. I have no memory of William Hartnell & didn't like Doctor's 3 through to 7 it's that simple. I know many people who thought Pertwee or Baker were the best, in fact David Tennant's favourite Doctor was Peter Davidson, so it's simply a matter of opinion. I personally couldn't stand Pertwee with his ever increasingly flamboyant costumes & the ridiculous wooden martial arts moves. All the episodes before "The Movie" look incredibly dated now & to single out my self confessed favourite for ridicule is just petty. My motives were & still are very clear ... don't waste your money. It was not to enter into a slanging match as to which Doctor was the best as that is simply a waste of time & energy.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Aug 2013 01:23:27 BDT
Actually all 252 Hartnell and Troughton episodes were junked by the BBC during the sixties and seventies along with almost all of Pertwee's first 3 series so your comment re "Looking at the surviving Troughton episodes today, it's not difficult to see why his were the most frequently junked" is stupid and untrue.

And where exactly does the reviewer claim "the introduction of colour ruined the series"? They simply state that the switch to colour meant the special effects team had to up their ante, something they couldn't always do on a BBC budget.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Aug 2013 13:23:11 BDT
thomsonjon says:
Thank you Mike. A voice of reason from the vortex of time. It was Patrick Troughton who saved the series from extinction by successfully pulling off the first ever regeneration with aplomb leaving the path open for all those who were to follow. Without him we wouldn't be even having this debate.

Posted on 29 Aug 2013 13:36:23 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Sep 2013 21:28:25 BDT
Mr G Turner says:
It doesn't matter what Doctor Who you grew up with. My favourites Doctors will always be Patrick Troughton (I getting 'The Ice Warriors' later on), Jon Pertwee (I got all of his adventures), Tom Baker (I get 'Terror of the Zygons' later on) and early Peter Davison (his first series and his first two episodes of his second series (Arc of Infinity and Snakedance) where his best), and nothing going to change that. It is the storylines, the horror and drama aspects that I am interested in, I don't care if its a black and white or coloured adventure its the storyline and acting during the late 1960s and the 1970s that counts. Transforming Doctor Who to colour was the sign of the time and something new, but Jon Pertwee did save the series as his debut 1970 adventure 'Spearhead from Space' jump to 7.5 to 8 million viewers compared to 3.5 million viewers for Patrick Troughton's final adventure 'The War Games' ('The War Games' in my mind is an excellent ten parter). So in my mind Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker saved Doctor Who, and these two will always be my joint number one favourite.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2013 17:01:54 BDT
thomsonjon says:
Your comments match your grammar. How many more times do I have to explain that your choice of favourite Doctor is purely a matter of personal opinion. I prefer to retain my memories of the earlier shows rather than watch them all over again. The production qualities were tacky at best & scattered amongst the vast array of the back catalogue of episodes still in existence there are a few gems but on the whole they reflect the era they were made ... a lot of wooden hammed up acting, wobbly sets, & dreadful special effects. One of the main reasons for the viewing figures increasing in 1970 were due to considerable social factors & were not exclusive to Doctor Who. This was a review to explain why I thought the Tom Baker Time Capsule was over priced & nothing else.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Dec 2013 09:06:52 GMT
Timelord007 says:
We all have our favourite memories of Doctor Who & I've been a fan since i was 4 way back to 1979.

For me i enjoy all the Doctor's especially 3,4 & 10, But thomsonjon has a right to enjoy who ever & whatever Doctor W he likes.

I love the whole show & think the Big Finish audios are excellent & his review here was spot on as this release was to fleece money from fans whom in a month or son later could by Terror in a 2dvd set.

Good review & if your a fan of the Second Doctor check out these audios i reviewed.The Queen of Time (Doctor Who: The Lost Stories)

Lords of the Red Planet (Doctor Who: The Lost Stories)

The Apocalypse Mirror (Doctor Who: The Companion Chronicles)

Feel free to read & comment on my vast reviews of Doctor Who merchandise.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Dec 2013 12:33:17 GMT
Last edited by the author on 3 Dec 2013 12:36:56 GMT
thomsonjon says:
Thank you for your comments. It was very interesting watching all the programmes surrounding the 50th Anniversary Special that virtually without exception everyone agreed that Patrick Troughton absolutely nailed the part & it was his quirkiness & humour mixed with extreme intelligence he brought to the role that set the standard for virtually every Doctor since (bow ties were cool way back then & he was the first Doctor to say "Run!!" on a regular basis). Unfortunately I purchased "The Web Of Fear" recently as they had just discovered most of the lost tapes because it is the one I have the most vivid memory of as a child with the Yeti's in the London Underground (scared me witless at the time) ... let's just say I wish I had stuck with my nostalgic memories. I was also interested to read Patrick Troughton saying " ... if they had wanted a humourous Doctor after "Billy" (Hartnell) they should have chosen Jon (Pertwee) as he is such a fantastic comic actor", in fact it was Troughton's portrayal of the Doctor that convinced Pertwee to play the character "straight" to give the role more contrast which meant a lot of rewriting of scripts. Anyway I digress as the review is about the Time Capsule which I am surprised to see is still for sale ... wasn't this supposed to be a limited edition???

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Dec 2013 15:07:47 GMT
"The production qualities were tacky at best... a lot of wooden hammed up acting, wobbly sets, & dreadful special effects"

Hammy acting? Very occasionally yes, but only very occasionally. However you will find that is an issue with any moderately long running TV show. Wobbly sets? Yes, very occasionally, however I would say overly lite sets were more of a problem, especially in the early 80's. Dreadful special effects? Again occasionally yes but who the heck judges a 40 year old childrens TV show by it's special effects?

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Dec 2013 20:11:05 GMT
Last edited by the author on 3 Dec 2013 20:11:53 GMT
thomsonjon says:
I really don't understand your point. All TV shows with a low budget affair from the 60's were guilty of hammed up acting, wobbly sets & in the case of sci-fi absolutely dreadful special effects ... Blake's 7 didn't fare that well either & that was broadcast between 1978 to 1981! Doctor Who isn't a children's TV show, although that was the main target audience it was aimed at, it is a family show & always has been. This isn't intended to be a forum to discuss these issues either ... it is a review of the Tom Baker Time Capsule which I consider to be a complete rip off & I am not sitting in judgement because as a 6 year old I didn't notice any of these issues, in the same way I didn't realise the Batman TV series scripts were a complete wind up. I just personally prefer to wallow in the nostalgia rather than to be shown as an adult just how ridiculous things were back then as I discovered to my horror when I recently bought The Web Of Fear.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (34 customer reviews)

89.99 49.95