1.0 out of 5 stars Let downs: Snow Leopard, backward boot disc compatibility, Seagate HD issues and UPS delivery, 10 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Apple iMac 27 - inch Desktop PC (Intel Core i5 2.66GHz, 2X2GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, 4850-512MB-GBR) (Electronics)
This review is for the i7 quad core version of the 27 inch imac. Overall, I'm pleased with the machine - prior to delivery I had anxieties following reviews of iMacs arriving with cracked screens and dead pixels, stories which abound across the web, but thankfully, mine seems to be fine. As soon as I turned it on, there has been a software update for the graphics card which I expect was to address the screen flicker issues. I was also concerned about glare from the screen - and it remains a slight nag (I don't want to see my reflection when I'm working). Against that, photos do look a lot better. It would be good if Apple offered customers the choice of specifying a matte screen for their new iMac range.

The main problem, as seems to be the case increasingly with Apple, are the teething problems with the new OS, Snow Leopard: lots of Finder restarts required, forced quits, the absence of Print to Adobe PDF is really annoying and means I will not be giving up Tiger on my Macbook Pro any time soon. Its similar with what happened when Leopard came out and many of the problems regarding core software like Acrobat are emerging again with Snow Leopard.

The new Magic Mouse finally introduces native two button clicking (Apple finally accepts that they were wrong with earlier designs). The scroll is OK, but not as accurate as using a regular wheel with intervals, so I still have a £10 Logitech laser mouse connected to do CAD on. The swipe action is also a bit hard to get used to. But definitely an improvement over the Mighty Mouse.

The bluetooth wireless keyboard is quite a novelty, with its total absence of numeric keypad, meaning it is both slim and small. Its quite fun, a bit Space 1999. The only issue I've noticed so far is the CAPS LOCK key is a bit sticky and puts up a bit of a fight going on and off. The downside of a wireless keyboard is that there are no USB slots now easily accessible, so it means scrabbling behind the screen to access the ports. There are 4 x USB and one firewire 800 sockets. Both the mouse and the keyboard helpfully both take standard size AA batteries (2 in each) so that means you can easily fit rechargeables when the factory fitted standard ones run out.

Aside from the glare / refection issues, the screen is glorious - I had been worried about it being too big on my desk, and I'm still adjusting a little to the size. The best thing is the way it can double as a decent size TV through the addition of something like the Elgato Eye-TV USB dongle in the back. The picture for watching TV and films was very good.

Performance wise, apart from the issues from the OS, the machine ticks along at a rare old pace - as you'd expect from something costing this much.

The only other major issue I have is apple's preferred delivery partner - UPS. I spend so long trying to get them to understand the most basic of instructions, but they still managed to mess up 2 out of the 3 deliveries associated with this order, which is quite some achievement given how much time had been spent on the phone by me and apple staff making sure they had the correct details. A lot of time and energy was waasted due to the failings of UPS, and Apple probably needs to review if they are the best courier company for them to be using.

EDIT: Because Snow Leopard is SO VERY BAD, I've revised my rating down from 4* to 3*. Most of my day has been wasted trying to sort out Font Book issues because of Apple's approach to Helvetica Neue and also now when I turn my printer on, my imac grinds like a ZX81 and effectively SBBOD or just hangs. I have never had these problems with my MBP and Tiger. I cannot clear the print memory, it seems that even going in to CUPS and trying to do it that way, doesn't work, so effectively to use my laser printer I'm going to have to look into reinstalling the OS. What a shocker Apple are having of late. They've become the new Microsoft.

EDIT 2: another annoying thing you should know is the way the logicboard works regarding Boot DVDs - I have spent most of today trying to repair my HDD using TechTools Pro and DiskWarrior, only to be told by a top level expert at Apple that the logicboards on the 27 inch imacs won't actually read the boot data from these DVDs. Drive Genius also does not boot up. I even tried copying the DVDs to a USB key to try to boot from there, but no success. So a lot of hardware / software backward compatibility issues to take account of. The only way you can run any third party disk repair software on a quad core imac is to use transfer mode on boot and connect your imac to another mac and run the disk repair software from that.

Consequently, given Apple's slowness in releasing the logicboard code to the market, you might want to wait a while before buying a quad core mac, to be sure that there is software available to support it.

EDIT 3: the new 27inch imacs with the 1TB HDDs also are quite noisy. Do a search and see. Just searching the web and the HDD clicks every 10 seconds. Its quite offputting if you are used to the quietness of macs.

EDIT 4: Having spoken to the top level applecare expert about my Seagate 1TB hard drive (I was getting missing thread record errors which would recur a week after being fixed via DVD disk utility), I was advised to do a complete reformat and reinstall. I did this - and, disappointingly, the problem is back. So the Seagate 1TB drive is faulty and the machine will have to go back. Again, if you google you'll find a few people talking about the problems with the Seagate drives.

EDIT 5: So back to the apple store the i7 imac went, to be confirmed by the genius that there were serious firmware and hard drive issues. A replacement was issued after about 10 days of waiting. And guess what? The new machine displays exactly the same problems as the previous faulty i7 did - missing thread errors, directory count errors. So it looks like the second imac is going to have to be returned as well now.

I'm not sure how much time apple think we all have to effectively beta test their retail products for them? I have so far had to do 4 x complete reinstalls on two separate machines. A total waste of my time.

Apple really does need to improve its reliability - particularly for machines at this price.

EDIT 6: I have revised by rating down to one star. I have just received an email instructing me that the 1TB Seagate Hard Drive in my imac has been recalled. So this is the THIRD time I will have to replace my machine because of the hard drive issues, meaning a reinstall and the hassle of taking the drive to the store. This follows on from the faulty graphics card I had in my macbook pro.

Want to know why apple makes 30% operating margins? Because it uses poor quality components. I've learned my lesson alright.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Feb 2010 00:06:09 GMT
Yout last comment 'They've become the new microsoft' was a bit poor. :( (Sits here on his Q9650 machine with everything running fine for Audio creation. Then again I'm not doing cad so...)

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2010 20:41:18 GMT
jrhartley says:
Well, I guess you're one of the lucky ones with SL. SL has so many serious bugs, as well as the font book issue, it zombies on print jobs, Finder Error Code 36 is another great. Apple really has become far too focused on consumer gadgets, largely without innovation (Jobs trying to find something to say about the iPad was cringeworthy - it a big ipod without the phone bit). AFAICT, apple used to be interested in functionality and things working, particularly for graphics users. Now its interested on how things look for low-end consumers who don't even really use a fraction of the functionality - they are just more interested in it being shiny and white / black / brushed aluminium.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Mar 2010 19:01:47 GMT
Technotechno says:
I've yet to upgrade to the 27" Quad core from my 2.8Ghz 24" iMac. However, I've been an early adopter of both Leopard and Snow Leopard, both without problem. Apart from the usual basic video editing and general home use 'stuff' I bought the system for Adobe Lightroom/CS4 usage and I've had no issues with this including printing to Epsom/Canon inkjets. Maybe the OS isn't yet properly suited to the quad core? Oh, also running SL on my Macbook 2.16Ghz and Leopard on a 20" iMac G5. Again, no issues. I hope you find a solution to this soon for the sake of your sanity! ps. I love my mighty 'mice' ;o)

Posted on 19 May 2010 18:13:26 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 May 2010 18:19:11 BDT
Pastyfarian says:
Thanks for that review - I'm reluctantly in the market for a new Mac after my 4 year old Power Mac 2.7Ghz G5 suddenly began leaking toxic coolant fluid everywhere and destroyed the power supply. A very common occurrence with G5s, documented in great detail on several websites but ignored by Apple who refuse to recognize any information critical of them on 3rd party-websites - we're all liars apparently! Bit of dilemma knowing what to do really as Apple obviously don't expect their kit to last much beyond the first year.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2010 17:47:35 BDT
jrhartley says:
Its a concern, I grant you. My MBP battery exploded - again, apparently I was just unlucky, despite there being hundreds of cased documented online. It is one of the things i dislike about apple. Incidentally, I suspect that the Seagate drive on my imac is on the blink - constantly having to repair the drive and others are reporting the same. Am going to reformat once I've finsihed my current project and see if it comes back. Fortunately I got the discounted 3 year applecare so I will be sending it back if there's problems.

It is a shame that apple has such a poor record for build quality and recalls.

Posted on 19 Apr 2011 20:13:05 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 13 Dec 2011 21:25:32 GMT]

Posted on 13 May 2011 12:43:08 BDT
Mr. D. King says:
A seemingly good review by someone who knows what he is talking about. Many thanks for the information.
Dennis.

Posted on 15 Nov 2011 19:56:46 GMT
Ha, you think you've got problems now... just wait until your superdrive stops just scratching your DVD's and then also starts to give up the ghost, as mine did at around 19 months old (and apparently this is a common imac problem now with the so called "super" drive).

Posted on 19 Jun 2013 18:36:23 BDT
Why a one star rating for something you're quite happy with,regarding snow leopard I have it running on a 2010 mac mini and have no such problems and the last apple mouse hand a right click and the right click has been supported since panther,so you're obviously a troll and don't know what you are on about.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jun 2013 19:02:43 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Jun 2013 19:03:38 BDT
jrhartley says:
Read the review. Poor quality components and having to spend a lot of time taking it back for rebuilds.

I know you can right click with an apple mighty or magic mouse - I am pointing out that ergonomically its a flawed product design. I have set out what the issues are regarding printing to PDF / absence of ability to tile on Acrobat Professional with SL and above. I'm sure for the basic consumer user like you appear to be, with limited needs of your computer, an apple mac / mac mini is fine and you find it all very unchallenging and simple. However, there are serious issues (and increasingly so) if you actually want to get any work done on one.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›