Shop Fire HD 6 Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Up to 70% off Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now

4.0 out of 5 stars Not too Shabby!, 7 Jun. 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: World of Warcraft (Mac/PC) (Video Game)
I have heard the tales of WoW, the teamwork, the hours put in by some people, the addiction.. and when I saw the ten day trial.. signed up to give it a whirl.

After waiting 2 days (I am on superfast broadband, just a rather nasty P2P file delivery system) for the game to install I was off.

Now,I have played many fantasy games, and I always have in my head certain characters who I create. My firs impression of Wow was extreme disappointment. Not only are the classes / races very limited.. but some of the classes are also barred to certain races. You want a human ranger.. forget it.

However, I finally settled on my dwarf hunter, and hit my second disappointment.. customisation of your chracters appearance is virtually none existant.. they pretty much look the same universally. The main way to change how your character looks is via clothing and equipment. I suppose Oblivions charcter creation spoiled me somewhat.. but I digress.

Playing the game.. well.. to be honest, it is NOT newbie friendly at all. If you have never played a MMO you may struggle without a major read of the manual. No tutorial other than a few pop up boxes every now and then. The chat boxes are flooded, so forget asking a question on there.. and the atmosphere is occasioanlly ruined by characters invariably called 'asfdjhajhj' who do nothing but stand around and spout webpages where you can buy online cash.. and this on an 'atmospheric' RP server.

However, overall.. it is a fabulously fun game.. especially as a hunter when you get your pet. The graphics are 'cartoony' but still veryimpressive. You first walk into Ironforge, and the Great Forge in the middle I challenge you not to be impressed.. or take your first flight on a Griffon and gasp at the faboulous scenery or the amazingly smooth load-free transformation from zone to zone.

and yes, I can see why the addication.. I am currently skinning everything in sight, and gathering herbs like they are going out of fashion just to get lovely silver to buy more training.

So far, interaction is very.. halting.. and what conversation I have had seems swkward.. but maybe I am just not fully happy with the interface yet.. time will tell.

Needless to say.. give it a go, but if you have an addicitive personaity.. or can get easily lost in a game.. stay away for your own sakes. My trial is over in a day or two.. and I have the full retail version winging on its way to me now.

See you in ironforge.. Thunderbrew is on me!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]