4.0 out of 5 stars An exciting read!, 9 Nov 2010
This review is from: Alpha (Faythe Sanders - Book 6) (Shifters) (Paperback)
Alpha is my first Rachel Vincent read and though it is the final book in the Shifters Series, the first I have read of it. While I'm not very fond of Urban Fantasy, even I will admit this is one bloody good read! I enjoyed this book a whole lot - action-packed, romantic and thrilling, Alpha is one very engaging read.

The book is really built as part of a series. It begins right in the middle of the conflict, and if I'm not wrong, directly after the events of the preceding book. Throughout the plot it also consistently refers to events and characters from previous books. Not much is explained and the book half assumes the reader is aware of what happened previously, but what really made me stick to it is the fact that instead of putting me off, it only enticed me to read the previous books. So if you have not read the series yet, this is a brilliant time to start - you don't have to impatiently wait for the next installment!

The primary character, Faythe, is by no means perfect. Her faults are laid out as it is from the very beginning. She's stubborn and heedless, yes, but also strong and unwavering. In Alpha, Faythe struggles with her affection for both Marc and Jace, two toms who vie for her heart. While I cannot begin to understand how she can love both of them, her indecision and guilt over hurting either of them is palpable in her actions. And while I vehemently stand against her infidelity to Marc, her acknowledgment of this mistake and the punishment she endures placated me.

Out of all the characters, I like Marc the most. Sure, he has a temper, is easy to provoke and is angry for most of the book. But he is such a genuine character; this may sound funny - but I do see a cat in his personality. I love his every word in this book - they are so honest and so genuine, and his hurt is strongly present. I'm glad he is not as forgiving to Faythe at all. His anger gives a sharp edge to the romance, and I'd be damned if I did not enjoy every single second of it!

Alpha is not all about romance - there is also a huge thrill surrounding politics, loyalties and disputes. It is in this part that Alpha fails to make me feel like I have grasp the whole of what is happening. I believe this part heavily refers to occurances in the previous books. There is a lot of tension involving the werecat council and a war amongst shifters is brewing - Faythe is in the thick of it. Tied to this is a very thrilling action interspersed throughout the book. Despite the fact that I lack previous knowledge about what led to certain events in Alpha, I loved being part of Faythe's world. The action, the thrill, the sense of danger following her footsteps is exciting!

I wish the ending was longer - it appeared too abrupt for my liking. Here's to hoping for more!

Simply put, Alpha is one exhilarating read. Forget werewolves, werecats are definitely in. And I just have to add this - I am in lust with the consistency of the Shifter Series' covers!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]