3.0 out of 5 stars 4th in the series, 3rd best so far..., 7 Oct 2008
This review is from: Damien (Mass Market Paperback)
'Damien' is the 4th instalment of the 'Nightwalkers' series and it takes place almost immediately after the end of 'Elijah'. It tells the story of Syreena, a princess in the Lycanthrope court and Damien, the Prince of the Vampires. These are both characters that have been introduced in previous books and while I think you will enjoy this story on it's own, it will make a hell of a lot more sense if you start at the beginning of the series. The reading order is - 'Jacob', 'Gideon', 'Elijah' then 'Damien'. But if I was ranking them into how much I enjoyed them it would be - 'Gideon', 'Elijah', 'Damien', 'Jacob'.

Syreena is set the task of supervising the excavation and exploration of the newly discovered Nightwalker library by her sister Siena. She deserts her post after a minor confrontation with Damien and while storming off is kidnapped by the Demon traitor Ruth. Damien, who is following to apologise, is the first to catch her trail and sets off to rescue her.

What I liked:-
This book is faced paced, has a very fluid style and kept me gripped.
I love the premise that the separate nightwalker races have lost their past and we travel along with them, rediscovering lost histories and knowledge. Each book brings more information and exposes various truths where the nightwalker species are in fact complimentary to each other and aid in each species' development.
I enjoyed the secondary characters, and the parts they play in the story. It's nice not to have everything revolve around just two primary characters.
Having focused on the Demons and Lycanthropes in the past it is nice to be introduced to Vampires, Mistrals & Shadowdwellers. I believe they will have a lot to add in the coming books in the series.

What I disliked:-
In places Syreena was made to seem weak instead of vulnerable, making it hard to like her all the time.
Damien comes of as a little dictatorial towards Syreena in places. He does not always afford Syreena respect of her opinions, which seems odd as you are reading because he does respect the opinions of Jasmine, his right hand woman. It's almost like he doesn't trust Syreena but I'm sure it's not supposed to read like that.
I didn't like Jasmine as a character. She is exceptionally selfish but I think this is deliberate as it is a very prominent Vampire trait. The focus on her in parts would imply we will be seeing her as a more central character in a future Nightwalker book. I'm hoping someone will bitch-slap the attitude out of her.
There is a surprising lack of decent fights, but when there are fights they are far too short. Ruth is very much relegated to bit part player in this book.

Having said all of the above, this book feels like it is building up to exciting things to come in the future instead of solely being Damien and Syreena's story. What's more I don't think this is a bad thing. We learned so much about Syreena in 'Elijah' that I don't think we had enough to discover about her to carry the entire book on just her and Damien alone.

With 'Noah' being the next in the series I am really looking forward to it and expecting big things. It's already in my shopping basket...

Overall, although this is not the best in the series, I would definitely recommend it. It is a good read, but if you are new to Jacquelyn Frank search for 'Jacob' and start there.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]