1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working within two months, no response, 7 Feb 2013
This review is from: Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Expansion USB 3.0 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive - Black (Personal Computers)
I bought this hard drive in December and it has already stopped working.

Originally I was delighted with the product - it was a good size, it held a lot of data, it packed away quite neatly and I could use it immediately. I spent several weeks organising the 1TB+ of data I had put on it when suddenly it stopped working - before I'd had a chance to make a backup. Literally only a week after I'd finished sorting everything out, the hard drive had failed to respond.

Now you could argue that I deserve what I got because only an idiot wouldn't backup their files as they went along, but I'd say you were missing the point - the point being that this drive is faulty and unreliable. I had no reason to suspect that the drive would fail - for almost two months it had worked perfectly, and each time I used it I had packed it away carefully. This was not a situation where the drive had been hastily shoved into a bag and the wiring had been accidentally sliced by the zipper, or a time when a drink had been spilled all over it. I had taken special care to keep the drive in perfect condition and was thus not expecting it to fail - I was therefore in no hurry to quickly backup every file. Besides, backing up 1TB+ of information takes time, and I'd only managed to copy 500GB onto alternate hard drives before the original failed.

When plugged into the computer, no light came on but there was a constant beeping noise which stopped after several minutes. And while a tiny pop-up bubble said my device was ready to use, the Seagate Expansion Drive didn't show up anywhere on my computer.

I trawled through the forums and self-help sections on Seagate's official website, but all that I was able to conclude was that the beeping was an unusual noise (duh!) and that I should contact Seagate directly for more assistance. Being unable to get through their busy phonelines, I then emailed Seagate to start an online case, but as of yet they have failed to respond. Needless to say, I am extremely disappointed with both the product AND the service.

I could of course simply order a replacement drive, but that would mean I either lost all my data or I paid a ridiculous amount of money to have it recovered for me. Since the fault lies with Seagate technology and not myself, however, I feel that this is an unacceptable proposition. For a company that claims to be - and I quote - 'the leading provider of hard drives and storage solutions', helping 'more people to store, share and protect their valuable digital content', Seagate is doing a remarkably shoddy job.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Apr 2013 18:59:00 BDT

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Apr 2013 13:29:34 BDT
I'm sure that if you lost 1tb of data due to a faulty product you'd be pretty annoyed.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2013 20:56:01 BDT
I'd be extremely annoyed too. What's Atkinson want? People have a right to know.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Sep 2013 12:16:09 BDT
ASUMNER says:
What a strange comment to make. Would you then, Mr Atkinson, have given it more stars for failing to do the job for what it was intended ? It's supposed to back up and safely store your data. Failing to do so, it does not deserve one star!
I hope you, Ashley, managed to recover your data and your issues with Seagate were eventually resolved.

Posted on 13 Sep 2013 11:11:36 BDT
Adr. says:
Hard drives are actually advanced floppy disks. They use a needle that reads a bit of film. Sadly big corporate giants and Apple stump growth so we haven't moved to solid state terabyte hard drives. All hard drives have a risk, no matter what the brand. You were dealt bad luck. I have about 5-6 hard drives ranging from Iomega, Western Digital and Seagate. All of which have done their job nicely.

A rule of thumb and this goes to everyone is to always buy two hard drives. Anything you value as important and irreplaceable, always back up / mirror on another hard drive and put that to safe keeping. Every now and then, update it. This is the only way to not get angry when like in your case, you lose data because the hard drive failed. Just remember most downloads can be replaced easily. As for personal photos and working files, always, ALWAYS back up on another mirrored hard drive under safe keeping. NEVER rely on the gimmick software these companies add to the hard drive.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Sep 2013 12:15:58 BDT
ASUMNER says:
Thanks for the excellent advice Adr. However, I'd like to point out that most budget conscious people, and people with modest incomes, will find buying 2 rather expensive! At a general retail price of 50 + one would expect these devices to do the job. I wanted to buy one but it has put me off as there seems to be quite a few people who have had problems with these. I suppose one could copy quite a lot of stuff onto DVD's or CD's. This seems , to me , to be a much cheaper alternative.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Sep 2013 16:34:49 BDT
Last edited by the author on 13 Sep 2013 16:37:53 BDT
Adr. says:
I am in the same "category" as described. Be realistic with what files you hold dear. Do you really need 1-3tb? Probably not BUT it's a nice luxury. Saying that I agree with you, a product should do what it says on the tin. I actually use old (redundant) hard drives for back ups. As soon as one fails or makes me raise an eye brow, I look into replacing that unit. DVD's are not reliable as the dye wears over time. More so with recordable discs, not the ones record labels use, they seem to be different. It is more reliable to use a USB pen for file documents and personal photos etc.

Edit: When buying a portable hard drive like these, ALWAYS ignore the software provided. Just format the HDD to whatever format you prefer, FAT32 or NTFS. Your HDD will perform a million times better than these gimmicks they market the thing with.

Posted on 6 Nov 2013 01:38:39 GMT
J. Forbes says:
I have had a load of external drives over the years, and most have failed. In every single case, it was the electronics in the case that was the problem - the hard drive itself was fine, and all the data was intact.

So, get out a screwdriver and open the case. Extract the drive and buy an empty hard drive enclosure to mount it in. There is at least a 90% chance that it will work.

Posted on 7 Nov 2013 11:37:41 GMT
F. P. Nath says:
I had similar problems with an external hard drive like this one.
I found I had a rootkit virus. It blocks the access to the HD.
It may be worth trying a rootkit remover which you can get from the net.
Best of luck with it!