2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing final volume, 26 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Emperor of Thorns (The Broken Empire, Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
Let me begin by saying I have read the first two books in the series.
I thought the first book was a bit flaky - clearly a debut - but it showed a lot of promise, with interesting characters with dubious morals.
The second book was a big improvement. It was written more clearly and the structure worked well. The visits to Jorg's past and the relevance of these events to the current story was a good device, and the story was exciting.

Unfortunately, I thought the third book a bit of a mess. The main character is still strong and compelling but it seems as if it was written in a rush. The author has hundreds of good ideas and crams them all in unnecessarily like a pizza with too many toppings.

Major faults:
...'Chella's story' A new viewpoint from the necromancer. Why did anyone think this was a good idea? I think the editor should have had a word. I didn't care about Chella, her motives could have been explained in a line. You could miss all her chapters out and the story would be unaffected. It seemed to be there to merely showcase the new enemy (who is rubbish)

...'The Dead' Zombies are the most boring enemies. I realise the leader of Jorg's main enemies in the book had to be dead due to the twist (which you will see a mile coming) but why the rest of them. People with motives and emotions are far more interesting!

...Makin, Rike, Kent, Gorgoroth. Key supporting characters in the other books the brothers, do nothing except a quick scrap at the end.

...The 'magic'. There are wasted opportunities in this book - sworn-this and sworn-that could have been expanded rather than been throwaway. Also in the first two Jorg had to 'earn' his 'magic': eating hearts/getting burned etc. By the end of this one he just 'wills' stuff. Lazy

...The ending. SPOILER. Great, so he's kind of sacrificed himself and thats the end of that. I'd be happy with that if he hadn't returned as a ghost. As. A. Ghost.

Minor Faults:
...The story in the present is basically a long trip on a wagon with a few baddies slowing them up.

...The structure is very similar to the second book which I have no problem with except that in a year trip around the broken empire Jorg finds everything he needs to meet his personal goals in perfect chronological order that he needs them in.

...Jorg might be morally ambiguous but he is perfect in every other way. The 'stick fighting' bit is ridiculous. He was rubbish with a sword in book 2, but according to book 3 by the age of ten he knew everything about the world, 5 languages and was awesome at stick fighting. One or two special skills learned - fair enough; A bucket loads of skills just makes him seem unrealistic.

...Some of the comments characters make just don't make sense - its like they were muddled up. I ended up reading sections through several times then giving up on getting any meaning

...Babies getting born in the middle of a siege / fight.

I could go on, but looking at the other reviews, its clear most people liked it and I'm in the minority. I can see why - Jorg is engaging enough to drag the reader through. For me, it was an incredibly frustrating read and could have been so much more

EDIT: I have failed to point out there are good points about this book - the 5 years ago bit is good. I think you should read it if you have read the other two, its probably worth it. Also I will buy his next book! I just didn't like the execution of this one. - Sorry!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Sep 2013 18:12:43 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 Sep 2013 18:14:20 BDT
bookster1 says:
Rubbish with a sword in book 2? Think you're reading a different trilogy... And I don't think you understood the ending at all.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2013 19:40:09 BDT
Richy123 says:
Well, I might be exaggerating that a bit but he does get lessons during his journey after getting beaten by the Arrow chap - that much I remember. Anyway, thats a minor fault - or an example of the frustration I felt while reading the book. You obviously like the book. I didn't absolutely hate it, I finished it after all. The 5 years earlier bit was good! - maybe I should edit my review and include this so I don't offend any more supporters.
But out of interest, do you think the Chella bit was good? Did you think there was a lack of the regular characters?
I think I understand the ending - its not easy to sum up in a sentence, but I found it frustrating.
P.s. I still think I'll buy his next book, he has great ideas and characters but I didn't like the execution of this one.
Ric

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2013 19:46:15 BDT
bookster1 says:
The Prince of Arrow was second only to his brother as the foremost swordsman in the western empire if I recall correctly :)

And yes, I thought the Chella sections were both necessary to understanding what was going on and very interesting in offering an outside view of Jorg.

I don't feel 'regular characters' means much. This wasn't a series, it was three very different books progressing toward a definite end. As such I didn't feel any requirement that each 'old favorite' be given a little turn. It was always all about Jorg.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Oct 2013 21:19:13 BDT
I agree 100% I have been reading all the 5 star reviews wondering why I just don't "get" this 3 rd installment......I'm 3/4 through and have started skimming over the chela bits and although Jorge is a great character I feel myself missing the other brothers in the gang as we don't seem to hear much from them. The jumping back and forward in time is now starting to irritate me, in the first 2 books the diferent timelines heard my interest but for some reason it's not working for me now, perhaps because I'm more interested in Jorge's current situation. The first 2 books built up a good foundation to Jorge's background coupled with the current ongoing plot development but 3rd book not so much. Jorge is a great character and it's this that's keeping me going....but I think I just expected more.

Posted on 3 Feb 2014 11:19:23 GMT
[SPOILER] He doesn't return as a ghost. There's a computer simulation of him. But it's not him any more than a photo of you is you.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2014 14:53:34 GMT
Richy123 says:
Thank you for pointing out yet another glaring error in my review. Perhaps I should have said he dies then comes back as a shade of his former self that hangs around his old family home.
Essentially, I was writing figuratively. I'm definitely regretting not liking this book, but I'll stick to my guns.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›