4.0 out of 5 stars I found a way to mask the taste!, 30 Aug 2012
This review is from: Good Hemp Protein Powder Natural 2.5kg (Personal Care)
I used to work out until about a year ago on a regular basis. My protein of choice at the time was whey simply because it is so popular. However after recently deciding to get back into shape I decided to do some research into proteins to see what other options I have. Hemp protein immediately stood out for me because of all the good stuff in it (all known amino acids, good source of unsaturated fat, vitamins and minerals) and as soon as I read about it I knew I had to have it, there was absolutely no question.

Since hemp protein usually contains less than 50% protein I decided to buy Pea Protein Isolate, which contains 80% protein (17.50 for 2.5 Kg), to take alongside Hemp protein in a 50:50 mixture (30 grams of each to give almost 40 grams total of pure natural protein per serving). This helps cut costs and keeps me from taking too much hemp powder after workouts as clearly a 30 gram serving alone (14 grams of protein) after an intense workout was never going to be enough.

But let me just say one thing: Nothing, and I mean nothing, will prepare you for the absolutely horrendous taste of unflavoured hemp protein. I used to drink whey protein in water sometimes when I ran out of milk and didn't struggle to down that, so that's really saying something about what I can stomach. But this hemp is on another level. Mixed with water it is akin to taking some mud, throwing it in water and drinking. That's the kind of taste and texture it gives.

I literally couldn't down the first serving I mixed up without gagging, so I ended up throwing it away. The next day I decided to try and tackle that God-forsaken mixture again, but this time with an apple and some honey mixed in. This time I was able to get it down (even though I was gagging the whole way through) but the aftertaste was the worst I've ever had in my life. It wouldn't go away for hours and I felt queasy the whole time. I tried that mixture once more before I stopped completely and decided that if I don't find a way to make it taste at least bearable I was going to chuck it in the bin and go back to good old whey.

After scouring what little sources there are on hemp protein on the internet I took note of a bunch of recipes and decided to try something rather simple in a last ditch effort to make this work. Here is what I mixed in a blender:

2 bananas
1 tablespoon of peanut butter
A little skimmed milk, just enough to get a thick shake

That's it. I added a little milk and blended it into a thick and smooth mixture. Then I poured the thick and creamy mixture into very large glass and threw in my proteins, carbs and creatine and mixed with a fork while adding a little water constantly to get the perfect consistency.

And my word did that do the trick, it actually tasted enjoyable! Seriously. I could imagine adding a scoop of chocolate ice cream and some ice to the mixture and sitting back and watch TV while I drink it through a straw. There was still a tiny hint of that disgusting hemp taste left over but I'd say about 95% of the taste was masked. Problem was solved so I could focus on making gains rather than worrying about how I'm going to get my post-workout shake to go down and stay down.

As for the physical results: I don't know if it's because of my new routine or the hemp but certainly I'm seeing instant gains. After 2 weeks of working out I can see a MAJOR difference in my body. I've burned off a little of the stubborn fat on the lower abs and under my chin and have put on real lean muscle wherever I've worked on it. I've even stopped taking 1 day breaks between workouts and now do it all continuously before taking a couple of days rest. I generally feel better and sleep like a baby for some reason as well - most likely down to the hemp.

So if you bought the hemp protein hoping to make real progress but were put off by the taste, I urge you to try that mixture of 2 bananas and peanut butter mixed into skimmed milk and water. It really does taste good and even if you find it doesn't, you'll at least be able to down it without gagging. And plus you can add your own touch to that recipe by adding some nuts of your choice or even an extra fruit; the sky is the limit. The foundation is there to make the recipe your own. But the best part about it is even if you don't add your own touch to it, it will still taste good regardless.

EDIT (19/11/2012) -

It's been almost 3 months since my review and I feel it's necessary to write an update. My verdict after 3 months of taking Hemp Protein is: Brilliant. I feel bad for those who gave up on Hemp because of the taste, and similarly for the people who are unwilling to give such a quality protein a try.

First the physical benefits: I have seen some amazing gains (I'm chiselled :D) and thanks to the overall health benefits of this protein and the complete amino acid profile I have changed the way I work out and eat for good. I now work out first thing in the mornings for 3-4 days in a row (90-120 minute sessions) before taking a day or two rest. And it feels completely natural to do that. I've lost 8 Kg of pure fat in 3 months (down from 80) and plan to shed the fat even more until I reach around 66. I think this wouldn't have been possible without the pure and natural mixture of Hemp and Pea proteins. Oh, and I've been on 1600 calories per day as well which has helped a lot. But a diet like that simply wouldn't be possible without having good quality supplements and the right choice of healthy meals. Before you roll your eyes, I can honestly say I haven't struggled with this and have only experienced a raging appetite twice now, both occasions I avoided indulging and ate just over my maintenance limit.

On certain days when I haven't had time to fix up a shake after a workout and have had to go out before replenishing my body's essentials, I've had to settle for other sources of protein. Mainly meat (chicken and beef) and I've found that the recovery process was definitely hampered as a result. My muscles didn't build back up as strong as they do with Hemp and I suffered some aches as well at times, whereas I haven't once felt any aches or pain after downing my shakes, even when I started out and there was barely any muscle on me. I don't even stretch before or after workouts.

I've also adjusted the shake for myself as I found the mixture I stated before was bulking me up more than I would like because of all the calories in it (roughly 700-800 per shake with that mixture). I now simply throw in my proteins and carbs into a mixture of 1 banana and 100ml of skimmed milk and some water for texture which gives me a total of around 450 calories. And do you know what? It tastes great. Really. Maybe I've just gotten accustomed to the taste or maybe 1 banana was all it needed from the beginning but I really enjoy my shakes. On my rest days I find myself craving the shake.

Well, that's all from me on this matter. It's truly a shame that not enough people get to enjoy something that is so beneficial and good quality. Even when you take away the workout element the fibre, unsaturated fats, vitamins and minerals are a good reason for anyone to incorporate this into their diets somehow. But I'm loving it and I hope I've at least helped others discover a way to get this into their system and enjoy the benefits I'm enjoying from this.

[Add comment]