4.0 out of 5 stars Reassuring, 11 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Population 10 Billion (Paperback)
I read this book touring Cuba. Ernesto, our guide was in his mid 30s and has one child. He told me he and his wife plan to have another, but not yet, as they cannot afford it. In fact they'd sold their car to afford a flat; things are not easy here, even for the well educated.

And as Dorling explains in his book, birth rate is strongly influenced by economic success. If you're not making much money, you don't have so many kids. Life expectancy also matters; where death usually comes early, the urge to breed sooner is necessarily stronger. It all makes perfect sense.

So the delight of this book is that Dorling turns complicated, statistical science and converts it into simple, logical and entirely logical arguments. Each key point is well referenced, providing opportunities to dig deeper into the topics that interest most. Quotations punctuate the narrative flow, some old, some new and some quite unusual. He shares a delightful comment by US fiction writer Stephen King on the reluctance of the support rich to pay tax.

I am an author too, which makes me even more critical of the writing of others. But apart from some points being a little over laboured (or perhaps I got the message sooner than most!) there's little to fault here.

People describe my books as accessible, understandable and reassuring. The same can most certainly be said of Dorling's too. Luckily I write on enterprise, or I'd view this work as serious competition!
In fact the book has prompted me to think deeply about what it means to be alive right now in 2014. Where is humanity heading and how can I, by helping people become more enterprising, play my small part in reducing population growth. I'd not seen my work like that before.

And so whatever you do. Wherever you are. However old or young, my guess is you'll find this book fascinating, revealing and I hope reassuring.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]