4.0 out of 5 stars ADSL2+ Modem - small and straightforward, 15 Oct. 2010
This review is from: DrayTek Vigor 120 - DSL modem - external - Fast Ethernet [PC] (Personal Computers)
I recently moved and was forced to change my broadband connection to an ADSL2+ connection (sadly no cable) and went with an O2 Broadband package. They sent their O2 Wireless Box IV modem/router (which is really a Thomson TG587n v2 router in disguise with branded firmware and massively reduced functionality/configurability). I wasn't happy with not being able to configure the router the way I wanted and decided to use my existing D-Link VUP824+. I didn't want to invest in a dedicated ADSL modem/router, so opted to get an ADSL modem instead - hence the Vigor 120 (there's suprisingly few devices out there that simply perform as an ADSL modem).

Draytek have a FAQ page that describes how to configure the Vigor 120 for use with O2/BeThere, as they use a non-standard ADSL setup, MPoA rather than PPPoA. Following the instructions on the website, I configured the 120 to clone the O2 Wireless box MAC address and use MultiMode modulation, and acquired an IP address from O2 by connecting my laptop directly to the modem. Pretty straightforward. Took a reboot of the modem to get it to connect, but it does connect and seems pretty stable.

Plugging in the D-link router (modem ethernet -> D-link WAN input) and setting the router to Dynamic IP, it connected immediately and the router has an IP assigned from O2. So there's no issue with connecting a router to the Vigor via MPoA.

However, I did some speed tests using a bunch of online websites to compare speeds with the O2 Wireless Box and the Vigor 120. For some reason, I consistently seem to get a drop of around 300kbps on my download speed. Now given that I am a long way from the exchange, the maximum download speed I was getting was a crappy 3.3Mbps, so a loss of 300kbps is quite signficant. Upload speed seems to be about the same or very slightly better. I have read elsewhere that there is a speed cap of 7.5MBps that is a result of not using the Broadcom chipset, but since I'm a long way off that monumentous speed, I'm not too worried.

I am in communication with Draytek support to resolve the speed, and so far they've been pretty responsive. I will update this when the issue is resolved (or not).

Note that I did upgrade the Vigor 120 firmware to the latest 3.2.4.4.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Nov 2011 11:34:30 GMT
B. Hurrell says:
Hello, and thank you for leaving such a informative review. May I ask if you ever resolved the matter of getting lower speeds than O2's Wireless Box IV? We've just had O2 installed, and while I'm extremely happy with the speeds (approx. 15Mbps downstream), I would prefer to use my own wireless router. I've worked out how to put my router in the O2 Box's DMZ, which will let my router handle NAT and assigning IP addresses, but it still feels like a bit of a bodge. The Draytek Vigor 120 seems to be the perfect solution to my problem, but I am just worried of it capping the speed because it uses a different chipset!

Sorry for leaving this message so long after the review, and thank you for your time!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Nov 2011 13:07:01 GMT
I'm afraid I didn't get to the bottom of it. I tried a variety of combinations of driver/configuration on the advice of one of the Draytek support guys, but none of them seemed to work. Both he and I gave up on resolving it.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2011 11:18:32 GMT
B. Hurrell says:
Hi, thanks so much for your reply! In the end I've decided to buy a Vigor 120, as the O2 Box wouldn't allow me to configure a DMZ, and generally seems to be quite limited.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›