5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good, 18 Jan 2012
This review is from: Acer Aspire 5750 15.6 inch Laptop (Intel Core i5-2430M Processor, 6GB RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit) (discontinued by manufacturer) (Personal Computers)
I spent a couple of weeks periodically investigating laptop models from various manufacturers and sources, and this one maintained it's place on my wishlist along with one of it's Lenovo equivalents.

I saw some question-mark comments about whether Amazon was selling the 5750g, as spec'ed on this page, or if it was, in fact, the 5750 without the NVidia graphics processor. In the end I decided to order it and consider it a bonus if it was the NVidia chip installed, and so I was really pleased when it arrived, and I found that it is, indeed, the 5750g as detailed.

My first concern on removing the laptop from it's sturdy packaging was that I could hear something small rattling around inside. Having had plenty of prior experience of disassembling and assembling PC's, I removed the screws holding the back cover on the chassis. Trapped within the murky depths was a loose motherboard screw, which plopped out onto the carpet! A little disappointing, but ultimately not a big problem....there's plenty of screws holding a motherboard in place, and it's possible that the one that dropped out was a surplus, dropped inside by a clumsy technician.

I then continued the normal procedure of fitting the battery, plugging in the power supply and "finishing" the Windows setup procedure. Quick and easy, and Win 7 was very quick to finish doing it's jobs. Uninstalling the trial softwares that I don't need (McAffee, Norton storage, Acer Games etc.) was quick and easy, and I had no problem installing the things that I did want.

Connecting to my home internet connection (via cat 5 cable to my netgear router) was way easier than I expected (it did everything itself) and before long I'd installed Google Chrome and iTunes.

So far, everything is working well. I really like the look and feel of this laptop. It's got a nice, quality finish, looks smart, and isn't a terrible magnet for fingerprints, thanks to it's textured finish and off-black hue! The keyboard is much better than any portable I've tried before, I reckon even better than a macbook pro, and the touchpad seems decent too. I've done a quick webcam test (though not yet skyped with it) and it seems ok, perhaps not as good as the 10 USB thing I got for my desktop PC.

I really can't fault this product at the moment. Given the functionality and selection of features, it seems like really good value - 750gb hard drive, 6gb of FAST memory (which can easily be upgraded to 8gb), a dedicated 1gb graphics processor, LED back-lit screen, and a decent Intel i5 processor, plus a legal (!) Windows 7 O.S installed. I couldn't find another laptop this well spec'ed for 550.

I'll update this if I experience any big problems...

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]