ARRAY(0xb08ec9e4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Its about time , MISTER!, 10 April 2013
This review is from: Star Trek: The Original Series - The Full Journey [Blu-ray] [1966] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
Its taken me a long while to get around to buying this box set , as when I first heard (a few years ago now) that Star Trek: The Original Series would be undergoing a Star Wars style complete digital makeover , in which all its main special effects would be replaced with CGI , it was like having burning hot pokers rammed through my eyes at the very mention of it , so I refused to have anything to do with them (let alone buy them) out of my pure hatred for Lucas starting this god awful trend.

The thought of Paramount doing a "Lucas" on this beloved show was almost too much to bare and thought it was the "datedness" of the show that is a big part of the charm and appeal of the original series.
The miniskirts, crazy costumes, wobbly sets , obvious stunt doubles with no effort to hide the fact and OTT theatrical acting really are all things to cherish , along with the dodgy space FX.
A few years past and I'd completely forgotten all about them , but when channel flicking a couple of months ago , I came across an episode of 'The Doomsday Machine' on CBS Action and had no idea it would be these updated versions , and as I watched the new CGI unfold in front of me , I actually started to think "This is bloody brilliant" and it completely won me over in a matter of minutes and set the series link on my Skybox immediately.

It makes you wonder how on Earth Lucas could get it SO WRONG and yet this so right , and completely blame him for putting me off any kind of "special editions" which made me miss out on these for such a long time , due to his appalling attempts at fiddling/faffing/poking and tweaking with his own classic films and truly deserves a "Kirk style" chop to the back of the neck for being such a git!!!!... George , I'm laughing at the superior CGI !
Have viewed all 79 episodes and didn't find a single thing offensive at all. Even the iconic theme tune has been completely redone using the original Alexander Courage sheet music to produce an almost perfect copy and think whoever did the work on this was obviously a big fan and didn't want to upset anyone , and if anything , deserves congratulating... Maybe Lucas should have hired this guy !

The CGI has been made to look like it was special FX from the 60's , but with a slight modern twist and really blends in quite well and hasn't just been "shoehorned in" for the sake of it like Star Wars... Don't get me wrong , I love Star Wars more than most , but Lucas and Star Wars these days is like David Beckham and tattoos , i.e: he just cant stop adding more and more until you end up with something truly quite repugnant !!!!
It could have been so tempting to go all out by giving us nice new modern special FX and truly ruined something quite special , so extremely glad they managed to restrain themselves and do only what was necessary... Birthday was coming up , so hinted (very loudly) to my wife what I wanted.
The picture quality is gorgeous and astonishingly , the sound has been given a 7.1 remastering , which may seem like overkill on a 60's TV show , but it sounds pleasant enough on my 7.1 setup , so more than happy.
You also get the original versions (YOU HEAR THAT , LUCAS!) if you want to view them , and can even flip from one to the other at the touch of a button if you want to compare old FX for new , so it really is the best of both worlds (no pun intended).
Extras are good , but nothing really to shout about from what you got from previous releases.

The box it comes in could have been better and I have read a lot of complaints about it , but not really had any major issues with it myself , but I am starting to wish I'd asked for the individual series instead , which comes in proper boxes and is a little more expensive (Hey , I wasn't paying) , but I'm considering swapping all the discs into my old Star Trek DVD yellow/blue/red plastic boxes that I also have , which is a much better looking and sturdier box to hold them in and seems a shame not to use or keep them , but overall its a good box set to own... Not perfect , but good enough and quite well priced.

You do hear people complain that its too much money on Blu-ray , but these have never been cheaper to own all 79 episodes upon release.. VHS would have cost you more than 4 times as much back in the day to own them all. Even the DVD would have cost you 150 (at the time of release) to have all three seasons and you wouldn't have gotten 2 versions/extras/Hi-def picture and 7.1 sound with them either...MISTER !

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 May 2013 14:53:44 BDT
Hello Julian123, I like the review, but it goes on a bit, but other than that it is very informative.

Oh, and I very much enjoyed your comments the other day.

Keep up the good work.

Posted on 18 May 2013 15:37:01 BDT
Julian says:
WARNING: Do not, I repeat DO NOT respond to any of Mrs Moeslys comments/reviews!
This person is known to be what is called an "Internet troll" or "Internet trolling" (feel free to Google that for a better explanation).
I have no problem responding to any queries, but feel that you should be warned before commenting/replying to her.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 May 2013 23:51:07 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 May 2013 23:52:26 BDT

Posted on 27 Nov 2013 20:58:37 GMT
D.S. says:
Wonderfull review.
Now you've sold me on wanting to buy this on top of my DVD's when the price comes down to a level I can live with :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2013 06:55:17 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Nov 2013 07:21:45 GMT
Julian says:
Thank you.
Just to let you know, these Blu-rays are shown in its original format of 4:3 and not 16:9, which doesn't bother me but it does to some people.
It is unlikely that these Blu-rays will drop that much more as they are already at bargain prices... at most, maybe a 10 drop in the future.
The DVD's (which are considerably cheaper) are shown in 16:9 but you only get the one version and only 5.1 sound... I would still recommend these over the DVD though.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›