4.0 out of 5 stars Well done 5.1 mix but with some flaws in the mastering., 10 Nov 2012
This review is from: Thick As a Brick [40th Anniversary Special Edition] (Audio CD)
I finally got my box set in the mail and excitedly put on the DVD in 5.1, the reason I got this for. I am happy with the mix overall and feel the album is an improvement in suround sound. However I had a few thoughts that something wasn't quite right with the sound on the first few minutes of the disc between 2:32 and 3:02 there is a problem with the audio on the 5.1 portion of the DVD. It is a slight delay or pause that is noticeable on 3 occasions. I am very disappointed this was not picked up and 1000s of fans who spent a lot of money on this set will also be disappointed about the problem that's on their DVD.
As a package this is well done, the booklet is great with a lot of pics and info on the sessions.
No bonus material is included which is probably the biggest let-down I have with this set.
The CD sounds great and is a definitive improvement on the old master.
If you have the patience wait until the DVD is fixed up before buying this box set.

Aditional info: 5-2-2013
Just received a replacement DVD after waiting 3 months. I am very happy to say the sound on the 5.1 mix is far superior to the one I reveiwed here originally, however I am sticking to my original review above to show the contempt EMI showed me in their lack of care regarding my initial problems with my DVD.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Nov 2012 09:48:22 GMT
tony1001 says:
I too have picked up on that error (what might be described as a slight 'hesitation'), noticable on the vocals during the "spin me back down the years" section, but was so disappointed by the poor sound quality of the drums and cymbals at around the 3 minute mark, that I forgot all about it!

Interestingly, the 'hesitation' only appears to be on the 5.1 mix. The muffled drums and cymbals are present on the 5.1 mix and stereo remix.

Posted on 13 Nov 2012 11:02:06 GMT
Constantine says:
The 5.1 mix is good, but the final result is ruined by really bad mastering. It's barely listenable. EMI should reissue this ASAP.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Nov 2012 15:12:19 GMT
rwoolst says:
A replacement DVD will be issued, latest news from Jethro Tull facebook page:

STOP PRESS: AUDIO GLITICHES ON TAAB 40th Special Edition DVD

We have been alerted to the fact that there are three small audio glitches on the 5.1 streams on the DVD part of the Thick As A Brick Special Edition CD/DVD set. We are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. Any new stock going into stores will be amended & for fans who've already purchased the set we will be making available a replacement DVD disc for you. More information to follow shortly. This occurred in the very final stage of mastering prior to manufacture of the commercial run of product and was not noticed until attentive early purchasers spotted the digital errors. With our apologies.

EMI Music, Ian Anderson and Steven Wilson.

Posted on 3 Dec 2012 15:29:27 GMT
Dapto says:
Just received my copy today (2 Dec 2012) and the problem still exists on the 5.1 mixes (both DTS and Dolby AC3 versions). The CD is fine, likewise the hi-res stereo mixes.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2013 09:13:51 GMT
ElMa says:
The problem (DVD only) is fixed with copies mid-december 2012 - but you cannot see from the outside, so beware what version you get. The replacement-DVD can visually only be identified by reading the matrix.

Posted on 14 Jan 2013 21:59:11 GMT
I am still waiting for a replacement, not holding my breath

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2013 11:29:08 GMT
rwoolst says:
just email TULLDVD@emimusic.com and EMI will send you a fixed DVD, no need to send anything back to Amazon
‹ Previous 1 Next ›