4.0 out of 5 stars Get the American version instead, 22 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Vegan with a Vengeance: Over 150 Delicious, Cheap, Animal-free Recipes (Paperback)
The recipes in this book are fantastic and I recommend it highly. However, if you can, I have to recommend the US version over this one. This version does not have any pictures, whereas the US version has a section with full color pictures of the prepared recipes. Worse is that in this version the typography is awful. The letters are orange and and red and the typeface is much too wide. This makes the instructions hard to read (thankfully, the ingredients are set in a more conventional typeface), and it makes the book look a bit cheap. The fact that some pages have a reddish tint near the top adds to the cheapness.

A benefit of this version over the US version for European readers is that this version measures the ingredients by weight (both grams/liters and oz's) instead of by cups, so if that is important to you, I still recommend this version. Be aware that the conversion from cups to grams can be a bit off sometimes. For example, one cup of flour is converted to 115 grams. In my experience, a cup can also be 140 grams, depending on the type of flour.

Either way, the recipes are wonderful and I liked the personal touch of the author.

Edited to add that I do not agree with the two negative reviews that have been written after mine, and I was surprised to read them, because actually what I like most about the book is that many recipes are so easy to make (there are some exceptions, of course) and that there are not many pasta/pizza dishes. Also: I guess they are a staple in vegan cookbooks, but I don't own them and never had a decent vegan pancake before, so I liked those recipes as well. There are four waffle and four pancake recipes, I would hardly call that "ad infinitum". Your meaning may vary of course. My current favorites are the carrot soup and the braised cauliflower, and the coconut cupcakes were a big hit with all the non-vegan people that ate them. The chocolate pudding is so easy to make and tasty, I don't think I'll ever buy chocolate pudding in a store again.

I recommend people to check out the "look inside the book" feature on the amazon.com (not uk) website to check out some recipes and see the table of contents, so that they can decide for themselves.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Jan 2011 10:05:35 GMT
Meagan Kivig says:
Can you help me? Which one is the US version? I bought this book already,but it's the UK version. I live in Denmark,but I'm American and would like to buy this again,but the US version. Unfortunately,I need to buy it through Amazon.co.uk,not the American Amazon. I just thought I'd ask,since you mentioned the US version,maybe yo know something to help me.

Posted on 6 Feb 2011 19:25:13 GMT
M. W. Legon says:
Thank you for this thoughtful review. Because of your recommendations, I ordered the American version from the US and am very happy with it (ordered some American measuring cups as well thanks to the heads up you gave in your review about measurements being in cups rather than grams).

Meagan: to be absolutely sure I got the US version, I ordered mine from the US site but the postage was really expensive. It might be worth emailing one of the Amazon.co.uk workplace sellers that are based in the US (like bargainbookstores who are currently selling a copy for £9.21) to check that they are selling the US version before placing an order? That way you'll only need to pay £2.80 for P&P.

One last note (for anyone who'd like to try out one recipe before buying the book): I tried making the Raspberry Blackout Cake (the recipe had been posted on a website with Isa's permission) before the book and measuring cups arrived, working on the principal of 1 cup = 8 oz, and the cake turned out perfectly.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Mar 2013 15:26:31 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Apr 2013 03:53:54 BDT
S. Pengelly says:
I would like to add to this. After reading the reviews and heeding the advice to buy the American version because of the addition of pictures I ordered this from an American seller. As M.W. Legon mentioned postage was really expensive. I was surprised when it arrived in a matter of days rather than weeks as I was given to expect. I have been sent the English version and it has no pictures! I have written to my seller about this. It has cost me US$ 42.00 in total (34.00Euros). If I had ordered straight from Amazon UK it would have cost GBP 6.83, postage free to the Netherlands and it looks like I would have been sent the American version from the Amazon description anyway....
Conclusion (1 April 2013)- Don't be fooled by the pictures shown with the description. If you order the book with Amazon.uk you will receive the British version ( ie. no pictures). Best advice is to check on the ISBN of each version and then find out where they can be purchased. Abe books stock both versions. I got a total refund in the end which was appreciated.

Posted on 4 Oct 2014 10:49:25 BDT
Erin Jeffrey says:
I usually order from amazon.de. It's in German..which I don't speak, but I have little problem to order books in the original US version.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (49 customer reviews)

£9.99 £9.98