4.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to follow along., 17 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Responsive Web Design with HTML5 and CSS3 (Kindle Edition)
###### PLEASE READ COMMENTS FROM AUTHOR ON THIS REVIEW #######
###### I HAVE RAISED THE SCORE OF THE REVIEW BUT NOT EDITING THE REVIEW AS I AM SURE THIS WILL HELP OTHER PURCHASERS ######

I am now a quarter of the way through this book. The style of the writing is easy going with good reference points explaning why the author has chosen to produce CSS3 in the specified way. The pace of the book is good and reading it on a tablet while following along works well.

So why the low score?

I am a veteran developer who has read many books over the last few years, to help learn I find that the code examples in the book should relate to the screen shots they are using within the book. In this book the author has made a website relating to the oscars, this is a simple design and relates nicely to the early chapters. However, the examples in the screen shots used within the book have nice graphics and text within the relevant sections (Header / Content / Footer etc.) but the code examples you are following along do not include this additional data and with no downloads supplied by the publishers you are unable to get your own code to reflect the examples within the book. This is very frustrating and if your code is not behaving as expected you are left pondering whether you have made a mistake or the code in the book is wrong.

I am currently trying to work out why my navigation panel bottom border is offset and not behaving like the images in the book, but the code is the same.

Here are a couple of examples explaining the problems I have encountered.

1) A previous review to this book suggests downloads are available from Packtpub, however if you go to Packtpub.com they advise no downloads are available for the book.

2) Whilst explaing the use of em rather than pixels to declare sizes within your website, page 75 "As an example, the first pixel-based font size in our stylesheet controls the site's title, AND THE WINNER ISN'T.... at top left" And then references the css #logo.
This is the first this part of the stylesheet has been mentioned and is therefore not in your code if you are following along, the book is telling you to change this part of the style sheet, but infact you have to add it from scratch. (But with the book adding previously unmentioned stylesheet elements I am not surprised when my code does not behave as expected.)

The theory behind this book is very clear, but if you are somebody who learns by practical experience rather than just reading you may find it better to spend your pennies elsewhere.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Mar 2013 13:24:31 GMT
Hi Tom,

For some reason, the downloadable code isn't on the Packt site at present (it was). I will contact them and find out why. In the meantime, if you head over to my site http://benfra.in/1xy I have each chapter code as a downloadable zip.

Perhaps when you have the download code you would consider revising your rating. I certainly hope so as it makes me sad inside :)

Best, Ben (author of the book)

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2013 09:24:08 GMT
TomKett says:
Thanks for this, I have just had this email from the publishers.

Thank you for contacting Packtpub.com

You're incident number is NN2003201######. Please quote this incident number for any further correspondence regarding this query.

I'm sorry to learn about the trouble that you faced while downloading codes from our website. I did manage to speak with the concerned department. For now there aren't any source/sample codes available for the above title. As an when they are available we will upload them on our site. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards

Nikhil Navani
Customer Relations Executive | PACKT Publishing | www.packtpub.com

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2013 09:45:44 GMT
Hi Tom, I'm afraid they are wrong! I have just raised this with them. The download files were there and for some reason now they are not. I can only apologise for that. They WILL be back there soon, I promise. In the meantime, if you visit the link I provided in the prior comment you will be able to download the code right now (I know as it's on my own site). Does this sort the problem out you have?

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2013 09:59:08 GMT
TomKett says:
Superb thanks, downloaded and all making a lot more sense!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›