5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic first hair clipper!, 7 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Philips Diy Hair Clipper QC5570/13 with 180 Degree Rotation for Easy Reach (Personal Care)
This is my first ever hair clipper to be used for my first attempts at cutting my own hair...

The clipper comes with a 3-15mm comb that is in normal terms Grades 1 - 5. For someone like me who's used to having their hair cut at Grade 8 on top - this is quite a bit shorter! However, times are hard and spending £10 every 3 weeks in a hair cut just isn't viable so thought I'd give these a try...

Firstly, you charge for as long as you need - up to a maximum of 60 mins (a full charge takes 60 mins, and the clipper runs for 60 mins. Fantastic work here Philips, I don't really intend to plan when to cut my hair - so knowing I can just pop it on charge for 30 mins and then cut is great! There's a little LED that glows white whilst charging, stays white when charged (and note, glows orange when batteries are low whilst in use)

I've just used the clipper for the first time, here's my first impression...

Very light, and very easy to select Grades (they're in mm on the comb) by rotating the head. Plastic comb feels sturdy and doesn't seem to flex. If you've never used a hair clipper before, I highly recommend using the highest grade all ver your head and then going down in increments - you can always cut more, but it can't be put back!

The 180 degree rotating blades is a great idea, *HOWEVER*, please please make sure you check the cutting size once turned or whenever you've turned the head as I did manage to a couple of times alter the cutting length (I did double check each time whilst moving the head so managed to save myself from the dreaded full clipper shave!)

As others have noted, this is a fantastic clipper for anyone who has a single length cut all over. However, I prefer to have something a little longer on top and shorter on the back and sides. I ended up using the 11mm over the top (just over Grade 3) and the 7mm on the back and sides (just over Grade 2). Not very difficult to blend in, I tend to hold my free hand in a straight line on the back of my head and clip up and lift the blades in a straight line - seemed to work alright! However, I can see that this would become very difficult say if you were doing a 0 on the back and sides and a 15mm on top - a 7 and a 11 isn't that noticeable of a difference!

Overall, fantastic clipper, nothing extra I wish it had (except maybe a case). Works perfectly, even on thick hair - just munches straight through! If you're thinking about buying.. DO IT! It'll save you so much money!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]