1.0 out of 5 stars Poor - In every way imaginable, 11 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Lands of Ice and Fire (Song of Ice & Fire) (Hardcover)
I was given a 25 credit by Amazon because they mucked up an order of mine. I thought I'd spend it on something nice, so I pre-ordered this. I wish I hadn't!

When it came, I just hated the packaging straight away. It looked totally inadequate for it's purpose. If opened and closed regularly, the folder will quickly lose any of it's integrity and quickly become 'dog-eared'. Any corners where folds intersect will become holes very quickly also. It just isn't very sturdy.

The way the maps are held in place by two small elasticated bands on each side is also totally inadequate. In fact when mine arrived the maps on the left hand side had already freed themselves from their bands and slipped across to rub on the maps the other side.

The maps themselves are on VERY cheap paper, and it's not very strong. The ink is also very very cheap and my maps that had freed themselves already had white lines along any folds. So any areas of sea that were blue now have white lines across them. That is even before unfolding them. On unfolding any, then white lines immediately appear. Truly truly cheap and nasty. Once the maps have been unfolded they gain mass, and are very difficult to replace back into the flimsy folder pockets.

It could have been so good with just one iota of thought. Really, this is a mess.

I don't understand who or what it's aimed at. You can't refer to the maps when reading as they are so big. You can't really frame them, as they have white lines over them and look cheap and nasty, and I don't really know of anyone who would want such 'tat' on their walls anyway. Everyone I've shown this to so far in the 2 days I've had it thinks it's awful and has thanked me for saving them money as they had considered buying it before seeing it for themselves. You can't even use them for research as any sort of use and they look awful.

There isn't even any written material to accompany them. Just one sheet saying how great the collection of maps is.

If I were George R R Martin, I'd distance myself from this inferior product as soon as I could. If he sees it and is happy with it then I'd seriously lose some respect for him, as it's a really cheap cash-in. A simple atlas of maps would have been better than this rubbish.

If I hadn't got this 'free' in effect it'd be going back immediately for refund. I really have no idea how angry I'd be if I'd actually had to PAY for garbage like this. As it is, I just can't be bothered and consider it a 25 voucher lost (not the whole 25, as I did buy something else... something that was nice!).

I don't understand the glowing 5 star reviews on here. I've never, ever got anything off Amazon in over a decade with them that is so inferior on so many levels. I can only assume they are related to either Mr Martin, or Harper Voyager board members, or are so obsessed with The Song of Ice and Fire Saga that they'd give 5 stars to anything associated with it.

Amazon.. you really need a zero stars option on this one!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Nov 2012 06:14:06 GMT
The ink isn't cheap, it's just that the paper is too thick.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Nov 2012 17:36:53 GMT
DirtyBearIOW says:
Semantics surely? Either way, I'd argue that ink that disappears from any crease or fold even before I have unfolded the map isn't cheap. But cheap or not, the result is VERY cheap-looking. You are, however entitled to your opinion, as I hope am I, and thanks for contributing. We do agree that the paper is far too thick though. :)

Posted on 25 Nov 2012 10:12:49 GMT
A. Whitehead says:
"The maps themselves are pretty unimpressive. Just really gaudily coloured versions of the ones in the book. Not nice at all."

This is not actually accurate. The maps, for all of their problems, do contain a significant amount of new lands, cities and locations not seen on the maps in the books. This is the very first canon map to depict Daenerys Targaryen's storyline and activities from the novels since the first book came out in 1996, for example.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Nov 2012 16:08:23 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Nov 2012 22:01:14 GMT
DirtyBearIOW says:
To A Whitehead. I don't feel that statement is entirely fair, It might not be accurate to you, but it is to me. I thought they were gaudy and unimpressive and not nice to look at. They may have some additional information on, but for me a map should be nice to look at when looking at information. These aren't. To me anyway. Also, they don't add anything to Daenerys' storyline that I couldn't get from just reading the story and following the maps as I went (which I did). I realise some people may like these maps (but to date both here and on the US site and on the Westeros site those seem to be in the vast minority).

It depends what you want the maps for, I suppose. I wanted something nice to look at, that was durable beyond using them once (or in a few maps cases already damaged before unfolding), that gave me a new perspective. They did one of the three (the last) in a minor way.

If you loved them, I'm happy for you. I really wish I did. Maybe I was expecting too much, and I wish it wasn't so, but it's the single thing that has disappointed me the most in over a decade with Amazon, and despite allegations from some people here who just write constant 5-star reviews for everything, (not you, I hasten to add, A Whitehead), I have written some very glowing reviews on stuff I've been pleased with. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Dec 2012 00:28:36 GMT
:) It's not semantics, I happen to be a professional graphic designer and can spot such things. Nothing about these prints are "cheap". Not the ink, not the paper. It's an unfortunate selection of print stock and/or poor decision to sell them folded, but nothing is "cheap" here at all. The print quality, the paper, and the ink, are all to an excellent standard.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Dec 2012 07:37:52 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 29 Mar 2013 00:35:22 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2013 20:09:12 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Mar 2013 09:40:23 GMT
Kathryn says:
Thank you, Mr Walker, for these knowledgeable facts about the printing and not just "impressions" of "nastiness" and "cheapness".

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2013 00:31:04 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 29 Mar 2013 00:35:29 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2013 19:39:00 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Apr 2013 19:39:16 BDT
J. Englund says:
I happen not to believe you. I'm a part-time astronaut btw!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2013 21:33:30 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 3 Apr 2013 21:35:39 BDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (43 customer reviews)

Used & New from: 76.41