3.0 out of 5 stars I wasn't as impressed as all the other reviewers, 20 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Piercing Bible: The Definitive Guide to Safe Body Piercing (Paperback)
This book was given five stars by Patrick Bartholomew, who must surely count among the top legends of piercing. His review should be much more authoritative than mine. But for what it's worth, here's how I found the book.

The good points, for me, were that it's written in a very readable, engaging style. Where the author talks about her experience, about healing times, jewellery types, procedures, etc, I found it very interesting and educational.

Bad points:
It's not a modest claim, to declare your book "The Bible" of a subject. To me it's a pronouncement on comprehensive coverage, well researched (as opposed to simply one's own experience), and dispassionate (non-judgemental, non-opinionated) treatment of a subject.

I didn't find it comprehensive.
- Example 1: When I see photos of Uvula piercings I think, "How the heck do they do that?". But 'Uvula' isn't even in the index of this book, and yet this is "The Piercing Bible".
- Example 2: I have a nasallang piercing, so I was quite interested to see what the Bible said about it. In fact thre's just one short paragraph saying what it is and noting that care should be taken in cleaning because access can be difficult. I would have expected it to describe placement and how the challenge of achieving symmetry might be achieved, maybe about considerations of bone position for some piercees, how it feels to have a triple piercing in one... any number of things.
- Example 3: In fact it was Patrick himself who gave me my chest piercings, so I was interested in what it would say on the subject. But the Bible is silent on the issue.
- Example 4: I had my ear cartilage pierced with a cauteriser, which worked very well, and I would have liked to read an assessment of comparative healing times for tongue splits with cauteriser method v. scalpel method v. constriction (tying) method v. flesh scissor method. The Bible mentions a cauteriser (but only in her personal cheek-piercing experience), and not even a mention of tongue splitting.
- Example 5: I've often considered an eyelid piercing, and this was one of my main reasons for buying the Piercing Bible. But again, no mention of it.

I've found that piercers often have very fixed opinions about what's acceptable and unacceptable and utterly foolish; even though one piercer's everyday procedure is another piercer's complete no-no. To me, this book is just like that: if you hope for a dispassionate view of procedures, you're out of luck.
- Example 1: Self-piercing is condemned, even though the author points out, for example, that it may be the only route for young piercees without parental permission (as such it's just the route I took myself with good success). I don't think that authors of Bibles should completely disengage their own opinions: just that they should take care to give accompany them with un-opinionated facts.
- Example 2: The author says "There are several placements in the tongue and oral cavity that are not advisable, and I will not perform them, though other piercers do. I would suggest you avoid the following piercings. Cheek Piercing/Dimple....". You will already guess that the reader is not going to be given a balanced review of such piercings, although there's plenty that deserves to be said (how the piercings heal for younger v. older piercees, for example, extent of swelling, etc, etc. A Bible doesn't have to be the single experience of one person: I think subjects deserve research outside one's personal experience.

So there we go... for what it's worth, that's how I found the book.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]