3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected., 14 July 2010
This review is from: JavaScript: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals) (Paperback)
I wouldn't recommend this book to an absolute beginner in JavaScript (like me). I think it's more suited to an intermediate programmer who understands JavaScript and wants to learn how to write programs using JQuery, not a person who wants to learn how to write their own programs from scratch.

I bought this book, because I own a copy of the very excellent CSS: The Missing Manual. Because of that book, I finally cracked things like Selectors and Floats, and found solutions to other nagging little problems, things I couldn't find on the Internet. (Perhaps I wasn't looking in the right places? I don't know.) I'd struggled with JavaScript in the past and given it up as a bad job, but lately, I decided to take another run at it, and I was hoping this manual could do for my JavaScript what the other manual did for my understanding of CSS. I'm afraid was disappointed on that score. I'm just as confused as ever!

The reason I gave the book three stars is because the basics are explained well enough, even if the exercises that follow aren't that great. Once he introduces JQuery, that becomes the focus of the book, and he shows you the great things that are possible using it, and I realise that for a lot of people that would be plus, but like I said before, I'm a beginner interested in learning good basic JavaScript. I'm not that interested in JQuery at the moment.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Mar 2011 13:54:57 GMT
P. Perhac says:
You should get interested in jQuery though :-) once you give it a try, you'll never want to touch the nitty-gritty of plain JavaScript again. I tried hard to stay off the jQuery for such a long time and then my scripts were not working across all browsers and I got very frustrated and someone, like for the millionth time, told me to start using jQuery and bless this person, he was right! I only picked up jQuery (and this book, which is actually quite good at explaining jQuery) about a year ago and since then I've had no problems with JavaScript tasks. Give it a go!

Posted on 21 Jul 2011 13:49:24 BDT
Thanks for your insights.

I too love the CSS missing manual and like you, it unravelled soooooooo much confusion I was having over selectors, positioning etc etc. Couldn't rate CSS Missing Manual enough.

But I was wondering to get this book since I know it'd be useful to know Javascript as well, and I think I'd struggle like you've said you are.

P. Perhac (the reviewer below) has mentioned jQuery (which, as a beginner I know nothing about) - so maybe that'd be something worth looking into for me too !

Thanks to you both for posting your both useful thoughts on these subjects.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (18 customer reviews)

Used & New from: 2.18