4.0 out of 5 stars Room for some improvements, but still a fantastic Blu-Ray player, 31 Oct 2011
This review is from: Sony BDPS185B.CEK Compact Size Blu-ray Player (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Length:: 6:19 Mins

The Sony BDPS185 blu-ray player is certainly the smallest blu-ray player I have ever owned, it has a neat suave look as well as being extremely light to carry.

It comes with a small sized remote which didn't bother me as I found it to be very comfy to hold and is easy to navigate with.

The device has the same XMB(Cross Media Bar) interface as the PS3, personally I think it's one of the easiest navigation bars to deal with and welcome it to this blu-ray player.

That said there is one thing that bothers me when navigating around the interface and that is the frame rate, sometimes it can feel a little laggy (not so smooth), it would be nice to see if they can sort this issue out somehow.

This device has these ports available:
1) USB Port.
2) LINE OUT (VIDEO).
3) LINE OUT (R-AUDIO-L)
4) DIGITAL OUT (COAXIAL).
5) HDMI OUT.
6) LAN (100) terminal (Ethernet Port).

There are two let-downs in this category, the main issue for me is there isn't an optical out, I like to experience the ultra sharp surround sounds through my home cinema system, but to do this I would need an optical out.

The other is regarding connectivity to the internet, you can only do it through an Ethernet cable, I've had multimedia devices before that will let you stick a USB Wifi stick into it's USB slot and can connect to the internet that way, but this device is unable do to so.

When connected to the internet, you're able to view a selection of internet channels such as: BBC iPlayer, Demand 5, Sky News, Eurosport, YouTube and you can even connect to your LoveFilm account. Surprisingly this device does not currently have ITV player or 4oD, two really popular channels, the PS3 has it, so I do not see why this player can't also.

The playback of media through a USB stick was mostly a good experience, it played my videos/movies & music to the quality the format it's supposed to be, as for the photo's, it would of been a bonus to have a "fit to screen" option, other than that, I was happy with the outcome.

The Blu-ray quality is top-notch, picture and sound was super crisp, just as you would expect from a blu-ray player.

Overall I think the price is very reasonable and would recommend this player, if you think the negative points I have mentioned may annoy you, then I would say look at a different model, but other than that, I thinks it's a good buy!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jun 2012 01:50:44 BDT
MyKeyReviews says:
To what I remember, it only takes a few seconds to load up, unfortunately I can't tell you exactly as I no longer have this product.
Reason being is I have a Sony PS3(built in blu-ray player), a portable Blu-ray player, and a PC which also plays blu-rays, so after the 6-month rule I had to dispose of it to clear some space, however if it were up to me, I would've of kept it.

As for the Ethernet cable, it really depends on how far away your Blu-ray player is from the modem, I had a 10m cable when I had this set-up, however you can use something like TP-Link TL-PA211 200Mbps Mini Powerline Ethernet Adapter - Single Pack with a shorter Ethernet cable to avoid wires going all across the room. :)

- Mike.

Posted on 22 Aug 2012 12:20:11 BDT
Claudio Rosa says:
The review i quite accurate and you seem to be competent, but cmon you cannot judge the video and the audio quality without a decent screen and audio system!!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Aug 2012 17:26:44 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Aug 2012 17:27:16 BDT
MyKeyReviews says:
The tv you see in the video is not what I based my review on. I have a sony 40inch led tv, and I couldn't connect my 1000W surround sound because it does't have an optical out. That small tv was used for the video purely to make it easier to record. :)

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Aug 2012 19:07:59 BDT
Claudio Rosa says:
good to know, you should have written about that. I know that it's easier to record, but with a proper TV would look all more professional. Don't take it wrong, I am saying those things because I appreciated the video review and I think you could do even better!!

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Aug 2012 10:58:21 BDT
MyKeyReviews says:
I appreciate your comment also, I like it when people give me their feedback.

Hopefully someday I can sort out a room purely for reviewing, that way I can layout things better. :)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (180 customer reviews)

Used & New from: £42.50
Add to wishlist
Reviewer

MyKeyReviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Location: Hampshire, UK.