5.0 out of 5 stars SIMPLY FASCINATING & ENTHRALLING...!, 13 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Heart of Faerie Oracle (Hardcover)
It's so easy when having read a really good book to say; `this is the greatest book I've ever read' - till a better one comes along that is... Well; it's true to say that the same could be said of Oracle or Tarot Decks I guess, as so far, this HAS to be the greatest Oracle Deck I have EVER purchased - and I have quite a few in my Collection! Simply because, (sounds a bit corny I know) the instant I received it I felt immediately `connected'. Something was VERY special about this Deck that I can't really put into words - though of course all the ingredients; Book, Cards, packaging artwork etc. will have all played their part. The thing is; I did EXACTLY what Wendy has suggested; held the Deck in my hands and looked through it and at each Card - one by one, BEFORE reading anything in the book supplied. Now; some other Decks have hinted at suggesting this, but I can't say I've ever had the patience to do it before, but I did this time - but because something made me `want' to! I'm so glad that I did, because each Card, instead of just flicking straight on to the next, I felt able to hold in my hand for some seconds looking at it deeply and taking it in before moving on to the next, and they reached out to me in some way like no other Deck I own... (yes - well; I did say it would sound a little corny... : - { )

These Cards are SO BREATHTAKINGLY BEAUTIFUL! Some however might find a few of the darker images a bit ugly, but when dealing with Faeries or Fairy-Tales, we have to of course remember, that not all the characters are attractive or beautiful...

What really blew me away with this Deck, was I did myself several Readings - and all were SO accurate, I did a `double-take' - they were just SO spot on - it was almost unbelievable!

However; though a tremendous shame, there are some criticisms with the production;

Firstly, I'm sorry to say; dreadfully poor packaging materials are used... The storage box is VERY flimsy, and does not come cellophane wrapped (well I had two that didn't anyway) and this Set really needs to be, due to the box being so very thin for more protection during transit. I had to send for a replacement which didn't arrive much better I have to add...

Second; the glue is not strong enough that is used to hold the box together, and so without the cellophane, it simply falls apart at the seams, and so the contents slip out and get damaged in transit...

Finally; the Cards may not be quite as `thick' as perhaps many people might like them (and not so glossy as most either which I do prefer) but the Book is of exceptionally high quality (not counting a few typos, which sadly has become the norm these days) and is a hardback with over 120 pages of in-depth discussion, which also includes illustrations of each Card and interview with the authors, with some great advice on `Spreads' and how best to use the Cards. I also like the way Wendy has stressed that we are not to rely solely upon `interpretations' from the book per se - but that we should be encouraged to use our own intuition. After all; books are there for a `guide' only. (many people forget that and use it as a `negative' when reviewing that the guide Book is not what they expect which I think is a little unfair sometimes with these types of products)

Another great thing about this Deck (a characteristic I have not encountered before) is that there are no less than THREE nameless and numberless Cards, that Wendy refers to as: `Surprise' Cards - which FORCES the Reader to use their own intuition to interpret because you get no help from the book whatsoever, which in my own opinion can only be a good thing. I think all Decks should do this, so as not to encourage Readers to depend only upon the author's meanings/interpretations - helps to make one more independent.

So; despite the `niggles' I've pointed out, the awesome creatures in this Deck are making me give this product Five Stars - and they know why; because they are SO helpful and informative and thus deserve it, and to give any less would be a nasty thing to do... : - )

It is ironic though, that this is probably my favourite Deck - and probably the most informative you will ever buy, yet is probably also one of the most poorly presented in terms of packaging materials...

HOWEVER:

Still FIVE FULL STARS from me!!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]