1.0 out of 5 stars Pricing structure for series 4 - blu-ray, 3 Dec 2013
This review is from: Downton Abbey - Series 4 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I was just about to place my order for the latest series series 4 of Downton Abbey until I realised that the cost of 34.99 was only a penny less than the complete series 1-4 plus the two Christmas editions. As the complete set is around 30 hours compared with 8 hours for series 4, this makes no economic sense. Plus the fact that the blu-ray discs for the previous series are only about a third what Amazon are currently attempting to charge, I cannot help but feel that we are being taken for a bit of a ride bearing in mind the close proximity of Christmas.
I have cancelled my order until the price drops to a more realistic level and Amazon apologises for attempting to rip off the public.
David Riley, Poole

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Dec 2013 10:29:27 GMT
Lorna says:
Agree absolutely. Series 3 blu-ray currently selling for 12. I will wait for a more reasonable price.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2013 09:06:40 GMT
Mariella says:
Yes, it's true, the DVD Downton A. Nr. 4 is too expensive. I'll be waiting for a more convenient price.

Posted on 8 Dec 2013 23:01:19 GMT
R. Pievaitis says:
I agree with you all, but not with just Downton Abbey, I have noticed that since compiling a X mas pressie list in mid October ALL prices on the various video games, dvds, blur ray box sets and even certain music cds , that all amazons prices have increased.
if I had had the foresight to buy the various gifts back then I would have saved approx. 30.
Based on only 7 items this represents a very substantial extra "tax of sorts " purely driven by the X(mas) factor !
Sure taken in isolation the price increases do not seem significant - an extra couple of pounds here and there but once I had compared the revised prices I was astonished.
Let me give you an example, the Marvel Complete Guide, was priced at 14.99 plus p & p now its showing at 21.99. Quite some increase but its also out of stock. How convenient then that our local store had loads of copies in stock for 13.99 then !
I am sure amazon will say its purely down to supply and demand and they are correct. But isn't it a little coincidental that ALL these price increases happen at the same time ie "its Christmas" - as Noddy Holder used to say/bellow.
To be honest we have now taken a decision that any further purchases will be made after the celebrations have ended. I know it may sound a tad sad, but I am going to monitor certain prices of items we would have bought eg once upon a time tv series complete box set - as I have noticed this has also increased by over 5 since I last looked ( these are all official amazon prices I am quoting not marketplace prices - so I have a set figure to compare against).
I reckon that once we get pasted Boxing day a significant price reduction will occur ?
Anyone agree ?
This practice leaves a bad feeling of being taken for a ride.
Of course its not just amazon and when you look at all the folk running around trying to buy that "something special" just for that one day of the year ....... then you see the Sales begin and wonder why didn't I just wait ?
And yes I am auditioning for the part of Victor Meldrew in our local theatre.

Posted on 15 Dec 2013 11:54:10 GMT
Couldn't agree more, will not be buying this set at 35 plus whatever the Xmas edition costs. Will wait it out.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2013 14:05:41 GMT
D. Riley says:
Hi Duncan,
You may not be too surprised by the fact that earlier last week Amazon withdrew the DVD from sale because of 'technical reasons'! They did give an alternative supplier but at the price of 45 - I kid you not! Anyway there have been quite a few critical comments since I posted my letter a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps because of falling sales at this critical time, series 4 has gone back on sale at a new price of 20 so perhaps it's not a bad thing to hold fire - in a few weeks the price may fall again especially with the Christmas edition being broadcast next week.
Thanks for your interest.
Best wishes,
David Riley

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2013 14:13:35 GMT
D. Riley says:
Hi Duncan - again!
Oops this morning the price has gone up again - well at least it's cheaper than the previous alternative of 45 but at 35 still very expensive. The collected series 1-4 has increased from 35 to 38 so it seems that things with the supplier are in a bit of a turmoil. No doubt all will settle down in January.
Best wishes,
David

Posted on 17 Feb 2014 20:36:08 GMT
Lorna says:
Today selling at 17.25. Have just ordered my copy.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2014 18:14:07 GMT
Wim2600 says:
I ordered today at 15, and 7 for the Christmas special, so 22 in total. A few weeks back I would have paid 55... Sometimes it pays to be patient.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (487 customer reviews)

34.99 12.00