5.0 out of 5 stars Good fun once you get into it, 26 Mar 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Crysis 2 (PC DVD) (Video Game)
Lets get one thing straight, this if no Far Cry killer. However, it isn't the junk that a lot of people seem to be making it.

I've played it for nearly 10 hours now, so am far enough in to comment properly on the gameplay. But first a word on the graphics. While they are certainly not state of the art, and some of the textures are a bit bland, I do think they get better as the game progresses. In fact the opening section appeared to have the worst textures. This makes no business sense but could explain some of the poor reviews. I tried that fix the other person posted in their review:

cl_fov=90
r_DrawNearFoV = 90
pl_movement.power_sprint_targetFov = 90
g_skipIntro=1

Basically, add the above to the system.cfg file of the Crysis 2 installation. (If you don't have the knowledge to find it you shouldn't be editing text files on your PC). I did that and it made a difference, but to be honest it screwed too much with the perspective for my liking. Perhaps I need to tweak it some more?

There was a time a few years ago when I had to have the latest graphics card. I no longer bother these days, as the amount I was paying was not being reflected in the increased quality of the graphics. My card is over a year old, and cost about 140 new. It runs this maxed out at 1920x1200 though, so I wouldn't worry too much if you have a fairly low powered rig.

So, what is the game itself like? I have to say that its pretty good. Its a decent FPS (not ground breaking though) that gives you plenty of freedom to run about, and, like Far Cry, gives you multiple ways of completing a task. So, given a task, you can go in with all guns blazing, use stealth and crawl along a ledge, launch a grenade attack, whatever.

The big difference to Far Cry and Crysis though, is that it insists on telling you that these options are available! Once you are aware that options exist, you can equip your magic goggles, and lo and behold, these options are highlighted for you. This sucks. The whole fun of Far Cry to me, at least on repeat playthroughs, was discovering new ways of doing the same thing. This has gone now, if you apply your goggles when advised. The secret is fairly straightforward though: don't use the goggles! Just because the game thinks you might need your hand held, doesn't mean you have to grasp the outstretched hand, so if you ignore it when prompted, you can still have repeat runthroughs where you take alternate routes.

The nanosuit has been simplified, and I don't have a problem with that to be honest. I thought the Nanosuit didn't add much to the Far Cry experience anyway.

There is a story to follow, if you like that sort of thing. I did at the start, but got bored following it and started skipping it where possible.

I will update this when I have finished the game, as the original Crysis had an awful final third. But from what I have found so far, this game is pretty good. It is by no means awesome, and certainly not in the same league as the original Far Cry, but it isn't the turkey people are claiming it to be here. If you want a more fun FPS, then try Bulletstorm, but if you've done that already, and want more FPS action, then you could do a lot worse than play this.

==================================================================================

Updated April 1st.

Right, I finished the game and am now on my second run through on the hardest level. The fact that I am replaying it immediately should give you some clue as to what I now think of the game. It really is very good indeed. Unlike the original Crysis, which had a very weak final third, Crysis 2 just gets better and better. It is action all the way, and is even better at the hardest level. I have upgraded my score to 5 stars because it really is excellent. It is easy to dismiss it after playing half an hour, but once you get into it the game is great fun. The tactical options become very easy to ignore and you can just pick your own path to play. Sometimes I chose the stealthy route, other times I went for all out war. This is well worth playing and shouldn't be dismissed just because it isn't a graphical benchmark tool. What it is is a very enjoyable game. I actually prefer it to Crysis, though not the original Far Cry.

And yes, of course I know that there was no nanosuit in Far Cry. First there was the original Far Cry experience, Crysis added the nanosuit to that. Happy to clarify that.

[Add comment]