4.0 out of 5 stars My experiance, 23 Nov 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Empire: Total War (PC DVD) (Video Game)
Ok, so i've been a total war nut since Rome and have enjoyed every one since. However i was put off buying Empire because of all the dreadful reviews relating to Steam.
I am no lover of Steam what so ever. I get the anti piracy part but i don't understand why you have to download the game first to install it... it's nuts.

That said i finally decided to take the plunge as it was going for less than a fiver.

I'm glad i did.

Installation was easy enough. It did download and roughly took an hour or so to download, install and update. As i have no internet connection at home i took my laptop to my parents to do the installation. Fearful that it might not play once disconnected from the net i quickly tested to see if offline mode really worked... It did and has done ever since. That was 3 weeks ago.

So installation was a bit of a faff but was not as bad as expected which was a bonus. So armed with that knowledge and a little patience the installtion shouldn't be too bad for you.

The game itself then... so far I LOVE IT!! There is a rather annoying bug that randomly reloads the map in campaign view but i think that could be because i'm on Windows 8. That aside i think this is the most indepth TW yet, politics, trade the works and the battles are fantastic. i found myself skipping battles in Rome and Medieval 2 as i found them a bit reptative after a while but not Empire. Tactics IMO seem to play a bigger role and there is an element of using a ruse to trap the AI which i find fun. AND if thats not enough then you could always sink your teeth into the naval battles. I haven't mastered these yet but I love them all the same.

My only gripe really is that there aren't many small nations to play. You seem to be offered the choice of playing only the superpowers of the time and other lesser but still great nations. i like to play as the underdog from time to time and take them to world domination but i can't here and that bugs. There are also NO unlockable nations, who you see is who you get; unless you mod of course.

PS - for the cheaters out there - the console no longer exists no more 'process_cq' i'm afraid. (personally i find it better this way)

So in a nutshell out of ten:

History: 8.5
Gameplay: 9.5
Graphics: 8
Battles: 9.5
Sound: 8
Replayability: 9
Installation: 3
Engrossment factor: 10

Go on give it a go... if you have the patience to install it this game, it is very enjoyable and rewarding.

**EDIT**

So after playing this game for over 5 or so weeks now i thought I'd leave a little update.

I FREAKIN' LOVE THIS GAME!!!

I think it has come into a little unfair critism and feel this is a worthy addition to the TW family.

I had to set my laptop back to Windows 7 after finding various crucial legacy programs wouldn't work on Windows 8 and was quite apprehensive about the reinstall of Empire. i have to say again it was no issue. I downloaded and installed the steam client and there was empire waiting to be downloaded and installed. (note: i didn't download it to reinstall, i followed the initial install process using the discs) it took some time but as i was prepared for it, it was no bother. I even downloaded the DLC for this game at the same time and it installed perfectly.

I have not been able to put this game down - it is immersive and gives me that 'just one more turn feeling' that my wife hates.

It is also worth noting that since going back to windows 7 i have experienced NO BUGS what so ever. its as smooth as a babies bum. Could be the DLC maybe but either way it works great.

Any way I'm off to have tea (freshly imported from my indian colony) with William III, demand a re-election of my government, destroy the French (they started it) and then pick a fight with Prussia... all in an afternoons work, it's a hard life...

-- Gaming is not just for Christmas, it's for Life --