5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning!, 12 Feb 2014
This review is from: Seven (Audio CD)
Before you read this review, you need to know I'm not one of those fans who would review everything Lisa did with 5 stars. She's one of those artists I like, but who can deliver some vey mediocre recordings from time to time. I'm very happy to say though, that this is not one of them and it's barely been out of my CD player since it arrived at Txacoli Towers!

Lisa has delivered a stunning album of styles and musical flavours to suit everyone and to those reviewers who feel that she's phoned-in these vocal performances and that they are devoid of emotion, I'm sorry but you are SOOOOO wrong! Starting with the funky dance-pop of "Can't dance", there's an immediate U-turn straight into the finger-snapping big band jazz of "Why", which wouldn't seem out of place in one of those detective film noirs from the 1950's.

I'm not going to review every single song intimately, but even the album filler tracks are of a very high quality. The one downside for this particular reviewer is "The crown", which I'm not at all fond of. With a very strong nod to today's R&B stylings, the lyrics "You're pissing on my ground" I find a little gratuitous and unnecessary - and this from someone who can swear like a navvy when the mood takes me!! Personally, I don't think this particular style suits her, although it takes all sorts and I'm sure others will disagree with this.

Highlights on the album are many, but for sheer perfection, you can't beat "The rain". This is a big, emotional mid-tempo ballad that sounds like it was performed live, thanks to the sound of the Telefilmonic Orchestra in the background. If this isn't a single and doesn't get heavy airplay, then there's something wrong. Also worth a nod are "Stupid heart", which has some fabulous lyrics and sees Lisa chanelling Etta James at her finest and "Conversation", which is a beautiful ballad that will have you stopping what you're doing to listen.

I can't stop playing this CD. I haven't done that with a new CD since I was a teenager and that was a few years ago, although I'm not saying how many........but I was wearing loon pants and platform heels at the time! Go on and buy it. You won't regret it!

[Add comment]