3.0 out of 5 stars Rushed Release with Consequences., 26 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Durarara!!! Limited Edition Blu-Ray Set (Blu-ray)
The release date on this product was pushed forward from April 30th to March 26th, and sadly this was apparently not a wise idea.

Firstly: I just tested it on my 5.1 soundsystem, and I must say, the songs sound very dull. I also have the original Japanese BDs and there are big differences in the sound. The conversations were okay, and pretty clear. It says that the audio is Linear PMC/stereo, so I don't get why it sounds so dull.

Secondly: The specials on disc 1 are jumbled. You can choose between textless opening 1 and 2 and textless ending 1 and 2...and if you want to play opening 2 you have to go on "textless ending 1"...they somehow screwed up the order, which is the second reason why I think they should have done it right instead on pushing the release date forward.

So the minus points are for:
- bad sound encoding
- mistakes in the menu

If you really want Durarara on BD that bad, I advise you to buy the (very good) US release, and not the UK one.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Mar 2014 20:28:28 GMT
expect the US release (which I have) doesn't allow you to have the on-screen text translated

It's just a copy from the Japanese version, so they were lazy with doing anything extra

And for your bad UK version, bring it up to the company. If it's that bad, they need to reprint it

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Mar 2014 01:19:10 GMT
Hello Fawkes Dashwood,

Thanks for the feedback on our product - let me start by saying the assumption the release was rushed is unfortunately incorrect. The discs were authored in Australia last year for release by the Australian distributor sooner, we partnered on it but they managed the whole process including QC on this one. So when we received all the materials early, we just moved the dates forwards! We'd never intentionally rush a title out the door and in fact have delayed multiple titles to avoid that when we control QC :).

Regarding the sound, we used the actual identical files to the US version (which is identical to the Japanese one) so I'm really not sure what's happening with the audio there! Reviewers have checked out all episodes too and didn't really find this issue so I'll have Siren Visual in Australia (who authored the discs) check it out and get back to me on it :).

As for the specials - this kind of thing does happen and unfortunately not every QC team is quite as battle-hardened as the Anime Limited one (from bitter experience) so we've asked Siren about this and they confirmed it just slipped the QC team by as they did it in-house and under pressure. It's not something we approve of but in this case by the time we had a check disc in our hands it was too late to change anything really.

Going forwards the resolution has been to manage QC in house ourselves regardless of if it means a later release due to authoring discs ourselves wherever possible. Hopefully you don't feel too put out by this either and should you need to reach me with further comments - you can at andrew ATTTTT! alltheanime DOTTTT com (switch the AT and DOTs with correct symbols and remove spaces to get the address!)

Very best,

Andrew Partridge,
President, Anime Limited

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Mar 2014 13:07:14 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Mar 2014 13:08:14 GMT
A. Clarke says:
A real shame to see this - It hasn't put me off ordering and I am eagerly awaiting my copy, but seeing Fawkes Dashwood mention a sound issue, makes me very nervous. The menu mixup is sad, but not the end of the world - A sound issue would be a massive flaw. Here's hoping it was a mistake on his part, rather than an issue with the discs.

Hope mistakes like this don't slip through on your Gurren lagann release, I would be absolutely devastated.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Mar 2014 14:54:40 GMT
Hi A Clarke,

We tested the sound pretty heavily ourselves to be sure and didn't find anything wrong so we're pretty sure everything is OK there, I'll look into it again to be sure though!

Gurren Lagann is being authored by Anime Ltd - so we won't go to print until we're 100% happy and may well send a QC out to some fans to check too - just to be safe!

Very best,

Andrew

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2014 00:00:05 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Mar 2014 00:00:52 GMT
Rebel Scum says:
@ Melissa.

The UK version doesn't have a 'signs' subtitle track, either.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2014 16:45:57 GMT
And according to this review there are numerous instances of missing and mistimed subtitles. Either this stuff somehow goes unnoticed by everyone involved, or there's an unwillingness to fix these issues.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Apr 2014 00:32:16 BDT
That's jank

The US DVDs had on scene translations (it's more important for when Celty is typing & not talking) it's just plain lazy when they don't bother with the bly-rays. And when Aniplex US charges $180 for the set, you think they can do the extra work to do this, but they don't.

The fact when they're at cons & fans don't hound them for their crap releases, is a shame, I would. If I pay that high price I expect a great release with it. The no on-scene text should've made the price go down. Drrr is the only show I bought from the Aniplex US and it'll be the last, their other shows, I'm importing

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Apr 2014 16:50:31 BDT
Ajay says:
Is the Aniplex release region-free?, as I don't wanna import and then find out its region locked.

Posted on 1 Apr 2014 20:20:16 BDT
I was thinking of getting this release but reading about all the problems, have to admit it has put me off, shame really :(

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Apr 2014 20:32:12 BDT
Last edited by the author on 1 Apr 2014 21:48:50 BDT
A. Clarke says:
^ Only two issues have been mentioned, sound and a tiny menu bug. I've been playing my copy, and can't honestly find a single fault with the sound, and the menu bug is tiny, worth mentioning, but should not be something that puts you off purchasing.

The small issues mentioned with the subtitles, are present in all current Durarara releases that use Siren's subtitles, with, by the sounds of it Aniplex's copy being worse. As according to Melissa C Golobish, Aniplex's US copy doesn't have on screen sign translations. Which sounds a lot worse than a few missing lines or errors. From what I've watched, Anime limited's copy does at least have the important signs in the English subtitle track. (Celty's cell phone etc). No 'just signs' track for the dub.

As for region, US and Japan share the same BD region, it's very unlikely Aniplex's copy will be region free.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (12 customer reviews)

£79.99 £23.50