5.0 out of 5 stars This is good, this is very good, 24 Feb. 2009
This review is from: The Ballad Of John Henry (Audio CD)
Appearing as if from nowhere, Slow Gin brought this brilliant artist to my attention, and I have thoroughly enjoyed building up my collection with his back catalogue. I've only had the chance to listen to this the whole way through once and it hits you immediately in the solar plexus, just how good a guitarist this guy is, how well produced this album is and most strikingly for me, what a good singer he is. Often underrated that, and I am looking forward to the Royal Albert Hall gig all the more now.

One further point in Joe's favour is that my 11 year old lad has declared him his favourite "band" (I know!) and anyone who can turn a boy of that age away from all that hip hop rubbish has to be a good thing. The RAH gig will be his first ever gig as well and I can't help thinking that it will be hard act to follow.

Anyway, enough of this self-serving stuff, the bottom line is that this is blues rock of the highest calibre and deserves a wider audience.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Feb 2009 14:29:39 GMT
Last edited by the author on 24 Feb 2009 14:30:32 GMT
You're a lucky man, Jim.

His first gig ... at 11! I guess he's going with his dad? I'm a little envious.

My son is only four but he already loves listening to music and recognises "Classic Rock" because I am usually tuned in to Planet Rock. He turns his nose up at anything that he thinks remotely sounds like classic rock .... :-(
I am hoping for the future, though.

Anyway - the disk - it is great and I think that Joe is going from strength to strength. He already has a spectacular body of work and I think there's more to come. He's a pretty good DJ, too, if you did not know that already.

By the way, if you like Blues-rock, I'd recommend the recent Robin Trower/Jack Bruce disk "Seven Moons". The Jeff Beck "Live at Ronny Scotts" is good, too, although no singing.

Lee.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Feb 2009 21:58:22 GMT
Big Jim says:
Thanks for those tips, I wasn't aware of the Trower/Bruce recording and had heard varying reports on the Jeff Beck one but I'll try and get a listen to them before purchase.

Just for the record, the young whippersnapper's second gig is going to be AC/DC at Wembley. We've got good tickets but I'm just wondering what to put in the letter that I'll need to write to get him out of school early!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›