5.0 out of 5 stars Great headset, although be aware it's not "100% wireless" on PS4, 6 Dec 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Turtle Beach Ear Force PX4 Wireless Headset (PS4) (Accessory)
I bought this headset for the PS4; I owned the Turtle Beach PX3 for the PS3 and although the build quality was poor (brittle plastic easily breaking, and seemingly a widespread issue), I quite liked the headset. So I took a chance.

It remains to be seen whether the build quality is any better. This set looks to be more robust so far, but I've only had it a week - we'll see what happens and this review will get updated in time for better or worse. Surely they've taken note of customer feedback... (After 6 weeks, they are still in good condition)

The device comes as two components: the headset, and a transceiver, with Dolby 5.1 Surround fed by an optical cable out of the PS4, and a USB connection which powers the transceiver. There is no passthrough from the transceiver, so you can't charge the headset from the transceiver. This is the first downside - you're immediately using up one of your two precious USB ports for the transceiver, and to charge the headset from the PS4 means using up the second. What's also a pain is that the headset is still mini-USB - and not micro-USB as is the new DualShock 4. Charging from the PS4 would mean cable-swapping out either your transceiver, or the only remaining USB from your controllers (between charging them). The answer is to charge direct from a standard USB charger (like those you get for most phones, tablets etc. these days) but I think this is poor planning - not to mention partly Sony's fault for not including more USB ports (and some at the BACK - come on Sony!!)

The sound quality is fantastic, with the surround sound not only giving you an immersive experience but also giving you a tactical advantage on certain games. For example, playing an online game of Battlefield 4, I lay hidden in a small yard, and though I couldn't see much, I could hear the opposing player as he went around me, searching. They're comfortable enough even for long gaming periods, although my ears do appreciate the fresh air when I finally take them off! There are different selectable profiles if you want but I tend to stick with default.

What bugs me is this: the headset is Bluetooth, and yet the PS4 will NOT connect to it via BT. When the PS4 detects the headset, and you try and pair them, you get the message "Cannot find a profile supported by the PS4". Audio still works fine as it comes from the transceiver, but the only way for Chat to work, is to plug your headset into the jack in your Dualshock 4 controller (using the cable provided.)

So although you're not tethered to the PS4, you're tethered to your controller - it's not as bad but it's still not 100% wireless, contrary to the description. *(EDIT: The product description on Amazon has now been updated to reflect that only PS3 is 100% wireless, but the PS4 requires cable-to-controller for chat.)

Now then: I've looked into this, and apparently this is not Turtle Beach's fault but Sony's, and it's the same for most if not all 3rd-party bluetooth headsets (at the moment, at least.) So I'm really hoping that Sony include the bluetooth profiles in a future update and this is not necessary. I can live with it - at least I'm not tethered to the console.

The charge is brilliant; they advertise 15 hours of operation on a full charge and though I haven't exactly timed it, I believe them. They last me a good few gaming sessions, and in any case you can play while they're charging if necessary... and if you don't mind the additional tether between your controller and whatever's charging them!

In final conclusion, these are so far turning out to be a great product, and I'm very happy with them.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Dec 2013 13:32:14 GMT
Stuart Blair says:
Typing from the ps4 here lol. Thanks for your review man, i was thinking of getting a pair of astro's, steel series or skull candy plyr 1 headsets. But I think I might buy these now because turtlebeaches are the only headsets I ever buy and i didnt even know these where out lol. I thought it was only that headset with one ear cup haha. Anyway thanks for the great review im sold

Posted on 14 Dec 2013 08:48:51 GMT
R. Mullen says:
The Bluetooth is designed to link to a phone (tablet or PC) so you can accept phone calls while gaming. It is not meant to connect to the PS4 as that is done through the dual-band wireless adaptor. Other than that, great review with plenty of information.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2013 18:54:35 GMT
Cheers Stuart, glad I could help

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2013 19:03:51 GMT
Jam says:
You're right, it does have that functionality - but that's not all the bluetooth is there for. In fact, the headphones can accept two simultaneous bluetooth active pairings.

The sound is transmitted over the dualband transceiver - but that is one-way. So the question is simply one of how the chat gets sent back to the PS4. If the bluetooth profile was uploaded onto the PS4, it would allow 100% wireless chat (i.e. not need to be tethered to the dualshock).

As I mentioned in the review, I did do some background research on this. I don't think I can post a link on here but if you're interested, do a search for "Will my expensive gaming headset work on PS4/Xbox One?" and check out the Eurogamer article that should result. It sounds like Sony are being a bit evasive on the issue, and my assumption is they'll want to give their own brand a head start - but then hopefully they'll open up and update with 3rd party profiles.

Other than that, thanks for the response and hope I was helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jan 2014 09:49:02 GMT
A. Dawe says:
Great review and one which made me make the purchase. I will not regret it as they are fantastic.
Don't know whether amazon has updated the page since you reviewed this but it now says 100% for PS3 and wired chat through headset for PS4. Only issue I have and this is not turtle beach fault but I wish Sony put a usb connector in the back of the console. Thanks for the review and advice. Happy Gaming.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jan 2014 13:10:43 GMT
Jam says:
Thank you! I'm glad to have helped you make an informed decision. You are quite right - the product description has now been updated and this is now much clearer. I'll update my review accordingly (otherwise it won't make much sense...)
I totally agree with you on the USB ports, it would have been much neater to have them at the back - surprising omission from Sony.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Feb 2014 12:02:41 GMT
Nicholas says:
good is the volume of the party? you can adjust it completely? I took the headphones but I think they are bad, the volume only works at maximum volume. I would like a word about who these headphones.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›