5.0 out of 5 stars From Jay-Z & Kanye West concert to Machu Picchu in Peru, an amazing camera and bullet proof, 23 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Canon Powershot SX240 HS Digital Camera - Black (12.1 MP, 20x Optical Zoom) 3.0 Inch LCD (Camera)
I upgraded to this camera from a Casio Z2000, the difference has been massive except for one thing which I will touch on later.

I was originally was going to get the new 2012 Panasonic TZ25 or 30, but reviews showed that Canons smaller pixel sensor and processor is much better than Panasonics which seems to have a yellow tinge to photos.

While I was originally worried about complaints that the 240sx has slow focus in dark conditions compared to the Panasonics, this turned out to be much of a non problem at all after using my camera to take full length 20x shots of the Jay-Z and Kanye West concert at the O2 arena, as images came out very sharp in which my other camera would fail at.

I would recommend anyone that buys this camera should use it only in P mode. Auto has a habit of choosing the wrong settings, if you are not that technical, the little bit of learning will greatly help you in the long term.

In Peru, the 20x was exactly what I needed, so I'm glad I didn't go for the TZ25, because there was some sights that needs a 20x to be served justice.

The only bad thing about this camera is battery life if you use a lot of Flash or video.

In Peru, I took 1700 photos in 13 days and even though I charged my battery everyday, I never ran out of battery during my day of photo shots, since i didnt have to use flash and I took videos once a few days.

I sadly managed to drop my camera 10ft in the ruins of Piquillacta, near Cusco, and my camera amazingly survived with a tiny scratch to the bottom of it! it was only then I noticed the new Canon compacts are made in Japan! it shows!

But I still highly recommend you buy a second battery it is a must for dark shooting where flash is necessary!

WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND!:)

November 2012 update:

I recently went to Iceland in October, where I put the camera through some cold temperatures, including being used on top of a glacier on a snowmobile!(I added a photo in the user pic gallery).

I was pretty happy with the photo's that came out, especially in the strong sunlight I experienced which surprisingly did not effect the photos or make the camera malfunction!

It's definitely proving to be a travel camera that Canon says it is.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Nov 2012 12:58:32 GMT
Miss Kay Bee says:
I have an older Canon IXUS which wasn't as good as I was hoping. My main concern is the blurring, even with the stabilisers (and I don't think it is just me with the jitters), and more importantly, I just couldn't get it to take night time photos. I played around with different settings, and mostly I ended up with over exposed images or complete blurs. What do you think of the night time/indoors/low light settings, please?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Nov 2012 23:02:50 GMT
Y. R. Selvi says:
For a compact, it does very decent night times/low light settings. You have to remember this is not an SLR, taking photos in very dark places with little light will make the sensor struggle. If you stand still you can get decent low light photos, but if you are moving it's going to blur.

If you want a primary night time compact than I would recommend the Canon S100.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›