4.0 out of 5 stars There's something about Colin Morgan, 14 April 2012
This review is from: Parked [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this film because of Colin Morgan.

Parked is difficult to sum up in a sentence or a paragraph, because like every good film, it isn't about one thing or a few things. Threads run over and under each other, themes weave in and out. At the end, I find myself wondering what, really, it *was* about.

Fred Daly has recently returned to Ireland, having spent some years in England. Without a job, without a fixed address, his life is in his car. The day Cathal pulls into the same carpark, things in Fred's life begin to roll and shift. Cathal has a good heart, and the young man and the older man form an unlikely friendship that will change them both. And yet - it isn't unlikely at all. Both Cathal and Fred are at a point in their lives where they are lost and drifting; part of their effect on each other is that they give each other direction, a sense of anchorage and a place to moor at the end of the day. 'Parked' turns out to be a metaphor for both Fred and Cathal's life, and the film is the story of changing, finding direction and the momentum to keep moving. The scene at the very close is a beautiful example of that circularity and momentum.

Despite the wonderful performances of the cast, especially the fantastic Colm Meaney, there was a key part towards the end where the storytelling fell down a bit. I don't want to add more for fear of spoiling it, but I felt there wasn't a proper transition from one scene to the other, explaining how we got there. It was just, 'bang, let's move onto what happened next'.

I recommend anyone watching or thinking of watching Parked to go on over to YouTube and watch some interviews with Colin Morgan (i.e. at the Mannheim Film Festival) talking about how he prepared for the role of Cathal - how in portraying him, "that drugs isn't the main thing - it's the person. I don't say 'I'm playing a drug addict', because that's not how anyone would describe themselves. When I went in and met those people, I did say, 'hello my name's Colin', and they didn't go, 'hello, I'm a drug addict'."

There's something about Colin Morgan - he looks into the soul of his character, the story he is a part of, and gives you a piece of artistry that makes you think THIS. THIS is what acting is all about. He has an instinct for seeing what a person is made of, and the curiosity and knack for asking the right questions - and in addition to all that, the wisdom to know not every question has an easily-told answer. These are some of the things that make him different - I'd say that those qualities are what make him the actor that he is, rather than the reverse.

A lot of people, I'm sure, will watch or hear about this film because of Colin Morgan (best known for his role in the BBC's Merlin); he is that rare person who can sell the idea that acting is art. He's not a performer - he is an *artist*, and that is a very different thing. He brings a depth and nuance to his work that few young actors do, because he is looking inward, revealing and discovering layers within layers, wheels inside wheels. It's not something done for people, for an audience - we just get to witness this extraordinary interaction between person and idea that creates a kind of third space, the acting that is really being. And that is our privilege.

As a final note, I don't mean to dismiss the other actors in this film, by talking so much about Colin Morgan. Honestly speaking, I don't know too much about them, while I have been following Morgan's work. I keep saying it, but I think Colin Morgan is special even among his own kind. Watch him.

[Add comment]