5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 21 Feb 2013
This review is from: Les Misérables [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
This film is nothing short of outstanding. Having never seen the stage musical, I wasn't sure if I would like the film or not, but I left the cinema feeling overwhelmed and emotionally drained at what I had seen. There truly are no words that can praise this film highly enough, and how Tom Hooper never received a Best Director Oscar nomination I will never know! Hugh Jackman is just exceptional as Jean Valjean and truly gave the performance of his life, as did Anne Hathaway. There is not one thing I can fault about this film and it is definitely a 'must see'. The music will leave you entranced, the performances will give you goosebumps, and the story will leave you emotionally wrecked. Have 2 boxes of tissues ready! 5 stars is not enough to rate this film!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Mar 2013 15:52:02 GMT
Mr. E. Hall says:
Having seen the stage production, and sung, in a Male Voice Choir, many of the songs, and being 'in rehearsal' in preparation to repeat many of the songs in our next concert alongside other Show songs, and knowing the effort required to perform many of them, I was a little apprehensive to see 'film stars' singing what is a superb musical. I took my wife to see the production yesterday, and believe me, it is no good whatsoever taking tissues - towels would be more use!!!
Anyone can pick spots off parts of the film, but taken as a show it is a superb 150 mins of entertainment. I simply cannot wait to have my own version, to watch, either as a whole, or in parts that you fancy.
Emotionally draining, thoroughly uplifting. Can only assume that its 'poor' performance at the Oscars has more to do with it being a british film.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2013 15:23:02 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 May 2013 12:35:50 BDT
I saw the stage performance 3 times and was left speechless every time by its sheer power. I know exactly what Caroline means by experiencing the feeling of being 'emotionally wrecked.'

The first time we saw it, we had already played the official soundtrack CD set many times but didn't realise that our then-nine year old daughter knew so many words. On the day our first visit to the theatre, we sat in the front row of the circle and couldn't believe our eyes or ears when our daughter started joining in with the early song about sailors and their 'ladyfriends' up against a wall etc. etc. etc.

As for the film, I haven't seen it yet but can only hope that the film version is as good.

UPDATE - I now have the DVD and have posted a reply to a later comment in this thread.

Posted on 15 May 2013 09:15:53 BDT
M. A. Ware says:
I take it your comments are for the cinema version and not the DVD of the film which I find disappointing has been cut from the film version and therefore has lost a lot of the drama. Saw stage versions 7 times cinema version for times DVD once and enough does not do justice to the real film. Why was it cut why not put it on 2 dvd's please re-issue an unabridged version or say it is not a true copy

Posted on 18 May 2013 04:05:49 BDT
J. B. Taylor says:
Tom Hooper didn't receive a nomination because the film is a turkey. Jackman was pants, Crowe was even worse. But Hathaway was absolutely superb. Buy the 10th Anniversary concert at the Albert hall and then rethink your review of the film.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 May 2013 00:11:41 BDT
croftman says:
By comparison the stage show is brilliant and this is a real turkey. But if you can' t make the west end, watch and weep along..... Then try to take in the real
thing!

Posted on 20 May 2013 12:08:20 BDT
Bookworm says:
Caroline, if you haven't already done so after seeing the movie, I strongly recommend that you beg borrow or (need I say more?) tickets to the stage production, it will blow your mind!!

In reply to an earlier post on 20 May 2013 12:32:15 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 May 2013 12:34:30 BDT
I now have the DVD but won't review it until I've watched it at least twice. I FULLY agree with Bookworm - we saw the stage show when we lived in London. The staging is jaw-dropping, especially in a theatre with the contra-rotating stages. No matter how good the film, it cannot ever match the live presentation so on balance I think it's best to either forget the stage show and maybe even the cinema version of the film, and to watch and judge the DVD on its own merits, or see them for what they are ... three totally different ways of experiencing the music and the drama. My INITIAL reaction to the DVD is that it's very good and that criticisms of some of the singers is unjustified - but that editing may be a weak point. However, I'll not write more until I've watched it again and feel able to submit my own review.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 May 2013 12:51:12 BDT
J. B. Taylor says:
I hadn't intended to watch it again, such was my disappointment, but I did. I saw a much better Jackman performance and that Crowe's acting was good, but his singing still woeful by comparison. First I thought his singing voice wasn't strong enough, but I really felt he could have been better directed even within his capability. Anyway, the film definitely warmed on me enough to say I will watch it again.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 May 2013 22:56:27 BDT
B. Fox says:
Having only seen the DVD version I was totally unaware that this was cut. I shall keep my fingers crossed that it will be shown at the cinema again in the not too distant future.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 May 2013 16:13:04 BDT
In case you're interested, the entire film script is available for free download as a pdf file if you just google for it. (It's on the universalpicturesawards<dot>com website)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (1,784 customer reviews)
 (1,374)