5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!!!... I'd forgotten just how good they are - have you?, 11 Nov. 2010
This review is from: RoboCop Trilogy [DVD] (DVD)
Robocop! Now there's a blast from the past. I remember watching it on VHS, playing it on my Gameboy, and sneaking into the cinema when Robocop 2 came out. What I didn't remember though, is just how bloody good the films are.

When it came out, Robocop was ground breaking - it was THE film to see. I can't think of a anything like it since that caused as big of a stir, except Terminator 2. It surely is an Icon of the era and a landmark in cinema. Everyone of a certain age will remember him. And for good reason.

I'm a grown man of 33 now and bought this trilogy as it was going cheap at my local HMV - I'd never seen 3 - and hadn't seen the other 2 in nearly 20 years. And I have to say, films 1 & 2 have stood the test of time. The effects still look great and haven't dated at all. The stories are deep and gritty, and they certainly don't pull any punches.

The script in both films are excellent - producing more than a few catch phrases you can repeat over and over, and the vision of the future is handled brilliantly, with adverts for strange and sinister products. The effects are brilliant and all in all, the world the Robocop films create feel scary, plausible, convincing and worst/best of all - very, very possible.

I haven't managed to stay awake yet through Robocop 3 - every time I've put it on I've fallen fast asleep. You know how sleepy you get on your sofa, on a saturday afternoon, around 3 o'clock but I think it's safe to say it's not going to live up the other two films when I do get through it - but that doesn't matter.

Robocop and Robocop 2 are classics. Landmarks in cinema and are just as enjoyable today as they ever were. Murphy's lines and Robocop's objective spark a million memories as they bellow out in electric tones: ''Serve the public trust. Protect the innocent. Up hold the law'' and '' Dead or alive, you're coming with me.''

The criminals are pure evil, are genuinely scary - especially the kid in the second one - and the story lines in both the 1st and 2nd film are good and strong. I will come back and up date this review when I've finished watching 3, but the fact that I haven't doesn't really matter - because I can safely say this box set is a great buy for the first 2 movies alone. Get it now.

10/10 - Robocop is a film that deserves to be talked about more than it is. I thoroughly recommend you watching both movies again. I think you'll be surprised at just how good all they are. If you found this review helpful at all, please give it the thumbs up - if not, comment on why, so I can do a better job for you next time... in the words of Robocop himself: "Thank you for your co-operation."

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]