8 of 9 people found the following review helpful
This review is from: Handwritten (Audio CD)
Been a massive Gaslight Anthem fan since buying 'The '59 Sound' a few years ago. However I was somewhat dissapointed by their follow-up 'American Slang' which seemed to be lacking the heart of the previous albums. But Handwritten I'm glad to say is much better. Great catchy tunes with amazing lyrics from Fallon. Also a nice mix of slower and acoustic songs to round-up the album.
Song by song:
1. '45' 10/10 - Awesome song and absolutely perfect start to the album. The sing along chorus gets you hooked straight away and the lyrics have some real passion and heart behind them, as we've come to expect from Gaslight.
2. Handwritten 9/10 - ANother great song. Really touching lyrics in this one and the vocals are very good throughout. My only issue is I'm not too fond of the 'woh-oh' vocals in the intro.
3. Here Comes My Man 7/10 - Good song seemingly written from a woman's perspective. Intro is a bit bland compared with other songs on the album.
4. Mulholland Drive 8/10 - This is a really great song with another great chorus. Really liking the guitar + solo in this one and the outro will definitely have you singing along.
5. Keepsake 8/10 - A bit of a darker feel in this song. The verses are very good with some good use of backing vocals. The chorus is very grand and you can hear the emotion in Fallon's voice. The interlude section could have progressed the song more I feel though.
6. Too Much Blood 8/10 - Very strong verse vocals from Fallon here in a more classic rock style. Chorus is really good and the lyrics throughout are awesome.
7. Howl 8/10 - This is a great fast-paced catchy song which is a bit more reminiscent of 'Sink or Swim'. LIke the lyrics in this one aswell - 'Does anything still move you, since you're educated now?'.
8. Biloxi Parish 9/10 - They've been playing this song live for awhile now. Great intro and verse and a chorus that will get stuck in your head for days. Sounds like a bit of a mash up of 'The '59 Sound' and 'American Slang' but in a good way.
9. Desire 6/10 - Not feeling this song as much as the others to be honest.
10. Mae 8/10 - A nice slower song hear so you can really appreciate Fallon's vocals and lyrics. Sounds more like 'The '59 Sound' here.
11. National Anthem 7/10 - Heartfelt acoustic song to end the album.