1.0 out of 5 stars Fundamental flaw in software, 11 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Roxio Easy VHS to DVD (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
I rarely provide reviews and have never provided a bad review (largely because I'm British and it feels wrong somehow?!). However, in this case I'm going to make an exception. I bought this product because the blurb said it would capture video AND let you edit it seamlessly with iMovie.
On the plus side, this program DOES capture VHS from your old video cassettes or VHS-C/Video8 camcorder recordings. It set up easily enough and I was capturing my old home movies within 30 mins of installing the software. HOWEVER, this is where my problems began.
EVHS-DVD converts your old video into MPEG2 files. This is no problem if you capture your video then choose to IMMEDIATELY edit it with iMovie. The software converts MPEG2 into a format that allows you to edit with iMovie.
Unfortunately, after capturing your video, the software presents you with several options, one of which is 'Capture more video' (or similar wording). If you have several cassettes as I did, you choose the 'Capture more video' each time. Eventually you end up with several MPEG2 files on your hard disk which is where the problems start.
1. iMOVIE WILL NOT OPEN MPEG2 FILES
2. EVHS-DVD WILL NOT LET YOU OPEN FILES YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY CAPTURED USING EVHS-DVD.
3. EVHS-DVD WILL NOT CONVERT MPEG2 FILES UNLESS YOU CHOOSE 'Edit with iMovie' EACH TIME YOU CAPTURE A VIDEO
4. THERE IS NO WARNING IN THE SOFTWARE THAT IGNORING THE 'Edit with iMovie' OPTION MEANS YOUR CAPTURED VIDEO CAN NEVER BE OPENED AGAIN BY EVHS-DVD
5. THE MPEG2 FILES YOU NOW POSSESS ARE EFFECTIVELY REDUNDANT. No program on your Mac will open them (unless you have a special QuickTime plugin) and iMovie will not import them
I have had a long email conversation with Roxio Technical Support who effectively said 'Yes sir, you're right, and we note your concern, but we can't help you'. Very poor indeed.
The whole problem could be solved if EVHS-DVD had a 'File....Open' option to open files you've previously captured. But there just isn't. Nothing. My advice is do not buy this product until this very fundamental flaw is fixed.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Sep 2010 15:31:51 BDT
I won't be buying until I hear that this problem is fixed. Thanks, Dave.

Posted on 16 Aug 2011 21:38:08 BDT
KATN says:
VLC (which is free) will open MPEG-2 files. The Quicktime plugin is annoying, but if you buy it for £15 from the Mac Store, you can down load the free the app MPEG Streamclip and they will work together to transcode your MPEG-2 files into either DV or AIC files, which iMovie will happily import. AIC files are substantially smaller than DV, but both are good quality. It is a pain, I know, but easily surmounted. I also can't recommend VLC enough for playing almost any kind of video codec.

Posted on 28 Feb 2012 00:43:42 GMT
Excellent review my friend. Something like this this should be very easy for a software company to sort but why don't they? I've bought two different brands so far and both have not operated ' as they say on the tin' very disappointing.....but thanks for your very informative review.At least I know which one to stay away from in future!..Another thing surely Amazon co.uk. owes us the the courtesy of deleting products that are plainly not performing to satisfaction!...Again good luck!

Posted on 15 Sep 2012 12:41:22 BDT
lu says:
Many thanks from me too - just saved me £52.00. I agree regarding Amazon continuing to offer this product if it really is that flawed.

Posted on 4 Jun 2015 08:22:59 BDT
Thank you for presenting a clear (and fair) summary.

Posted on 2 Aug 2015 13:44:35 BDT
Mr B M G says:
Great review. Thank you for taking the time to give us all a heads up. I definitely wont be buying this product as a result of your review. Same as I thought it was the answer I needed to convert my Video-8 tapes. Cheers.

Posted on 1 May 2016 08:25:25 BDT
A G Highet says:
I do not have the software so cannot confirm anything but I believe that if you accept the option to transfer to iMovie the software then creates an .MP4 file in the same folder. This can then be opened at any time by iMovie or any other editing software. You could also download Handbrake (Free software) which will convert virtually any movie format to .MP4. Whilst I agree it should be made clear by the software company it would not stop me purchasing the software.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›