5.0 out of 5 stars Initial review - very good indeed! *Now with follow-up*, 8 April 2012
This review is from: HTC One X 32GB Sim Free Smartphone - White (discontinued by manufacturer) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
This is a preliminary review, since I've only had the phone for a couple of days, and am still exploring its possibilities.

However, so far, I've been very impressed. The build quality is beautiful (a solid piece of polycarbonate with a gorilla glass screen spanning the whole front face of the device). It's slim and lightweight (unlike previous HTC models, that tended to be heavy beacuse of their use of an aluminium unibody, and rather on the chunky side). The HD screen is stunning - bright, vibrant, and with incredible detail. This is the first phone display I've seen that out-does the brilliant IPS display of the iPhone. The quad core processor means that the phone undertakes even the most demanding of tasks with ease - no lags or stutter - everything is wonderfully smooth.The camera seems to offer good performance (though haven't used it in a sufficient variety of settings/conditions to come to a definitive view). The sound (with Beats Audio enhancement) is excellent - combined with the screen and processor power, it makes watching 1080P HD video a real treat.

A lot has been made of the issue of battery life - both because of the power requirements of this device, and because of HTC's past record of less than impressive battery performance (the HTC Desire I've been using until now, while not terrible, wasn't great either is this respect). After a few days use, my view is that HTC have clearly done some work on the battery issue - reasonably demanding use (a few hours of video/web browsing/game playing), synching multiple email accounts, WI-FI, 3G and GPS 'on') and the phone will get through a normal working day (but will need an early evening top-up). Given the screen and processor in this phone, that's acceptable in my view.

Downsides? Not many. I have noticed some patchiness in pinch-to-zoom and text reflow with the stock web browswer - but hopefully this will be corrected with an update (or I'll use an alternative browser). Fortunately, I've not experienced the screen flicker and 'banding' issues that some users have reported.

One issue to bear in mind is the inevitable size of this phone - unavoidable if one wants that amazing screen. Having moved-up from a smaller phone (with a 3.7 inch screen), the phone doesn't feel easy to use in single-handed operation - just a bit too wide and tall. The slick polycarbonate body also gives the feeling that it might slip out of the hand if using it one-handed (though I'll buy a skin and see if this helps grip for one-handed use). So, for those with small hands, this might just prove too large to handle comfortably - worth bearing in mind, and perhaps considering the slightly more compact HTC One S as an alternative.

The verdict so far - not quite perfect, but as close as I've seen any phone get to being the ultimate all-round mobile device.

FOLLOW-UP. Well, it's now been a few weeks that I've had the phone, so thought it worthwhile to add some additional comments. In all, I continue to be very impressed with the device. I did mention a few glitches, such as rendering issues in the stock browser. However, last week I installed the OTA (over the air) update from HTC, and that seems to have solved those problems. Moreover, the update includes some other valuable fixes. Firstly, according to HTC, there's a battery fix that increases the life by 20% - I'm finding now that the battery does indeed last longer (I've also installed Juice Defender, which adds additional lasting power). I've read other reviews and comments about the battery life, saying how terrible it is. Maybe this is a reflection of different patterns of use from different people, but for me the phone comfortably gets through the day, which is all I reasonably expect from a high end smartphone of this kind. Also, HTC have fixed a problem with the camera software - apparently, it previously stopped images being saved in files larger than 3MB, thereby reducing the definition and quality of images. This has now been fixed, meaning that the 8MP camera can peform at its best, and I've been very impressed with the quality of images.

So, in all, I'm really pleased I went with this phone - a great performer, with that added 'wow factor' and beautiful styling.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Apr 2012 09:02:28 BDT
Anonymous says:
Thank you for the excellent review. One question: what headphones come with the phone? Beats or standard HTC ones? And how do they sound? Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2012 14:07:05 BDT
Hodroulis says:
Thanks. The phoen came with standard HTC in-ear phones - disappinted not to get the Beat Audio ones they shop with the Sensation XE/XL. To be honest, I didn't even try the supplied earphones, as they look like the standard, basic types that usally ship with phones - I just plugged-in my JVC phones that I've been using for past year, as I know they give a quality sound experience. I might try the supplied ones, just to see how they are - and will post an update for you on that!

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2012 14:28:30 BDT
Hodroulis says:
Have now tried the supplied phones - as I suspected, not very good - a pair of cheap (and rather uncomfortable) in-ear set. Fine for hands-free calling, but not for serious music listening. A bit disappointing, given the premium cost of the handset - just as well I already have a good set that I'm happy with...

Posted on 9 Apr 2012 22:20:59 BDT
I have a One X too and my battery life sucks, pressing the applications button is laggy and the phone seems slow, i am not impressed...

Posted on 9 Apr 2012 23:25:37 BDT
Mr says:
You need Beats headphones to take full advantage of the audio system, so that part of your review is misleading.

For those who want to improve their battery life:

When you need to use your mobile network, use an app called JuiceDefender.

When you only need wifi, turn on flight mode, reboot then turn wifi on. This will save a lot of battery.

Go to options and then to sound, turn silent mode on.

Go to options and then to display, turn the brightness down.

Go to options and then to sync, turn auto-sync off.

Go to options and then to the developer section, set background applications to none.

These are just a few things, expect an OTA (over the air update) some time soon (maybe even on the 10th of April) which will improve the software and subsequently the battery life. Also, web browsing interestingly takes up more battery than watching HD video or playing games; so cut down on that if you can.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Apr 2012 00:14:52 BDT
Yeah I know those things there are a few software bugs like you can't keep you rendering on and just laggy , where did you here the 10th April from?

Posted on 12 Apr 2012 16:26:55 BDT
Assuming you bought this to use with a SIM-only phone plan, can you describe how the phone handles updates to the system software - assuming it's had any ? And does it come with any software for managing the phone from a PC ? Thanks.....

(I ask because after unlocking my Samsung Galaxy S, the Kies management software now tells me my OS/firmware "cannot be upgraded", which I think is pretty poor, really).

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2012 11:53:13 BDT
Hisham Khan says:
One customer stated that the One X takes about 4 hours to recharge! is that the case wit your one X as well?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Apr 2012 20:43:51 BDT
Hodroulis says:
I bought my One X unlocked and have just received the first system update, that installed without problems. There is the HTC Synch software that you can download and install on your PC/Mac, but it isn't ncessary for updates - these are rolled-out OTA (over the air). Once an update is available, a notification pops up on the notification bar, and you can download the update straight to the phone. Hope that helps!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Apr 2012 20:45:18 BDT
Hodroulis says:
Just got the update for my One X OTA last Weds (on an unlocked handset)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›