5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing really!, 15 Oct. 2013
This review is from: New (Audio CD)
Music is such a personal thing. McCartney whether it be Beatles, Wings or Solo has been part of my life. 70's, 80's, 90's and now 00's - he's there. Every album, without exception always has a few cracking tunes on it. How many cracking tunes is debatable. I often go back to old albums and suddenly find something I wasn't interested in ten years ago rings true to me now. It's remarkable really - he did all the Beatle stuff and still comes back with more - every single album! Those that write him off as being too old, clearly spend too much time reading the Daily Mail - remember we all get old. His voice has aged, but it doesn't in my mind at least, detract from the fact he can still write amazing melodic tunes that always have me going back for more.
This album is no exception. But perhaps it is an exception, because there's more cracking stuff on here than on many of his previous attempts. Twists and turns, lovely bridges and that constant bass - the McCartney bass! Two days after release it's too early to tell whether it'll be a laster (initial impressions tell me it is). I thought Memory Almost Full was great when I first heard it, but I find it too loud and get tired after a few songs. This is different. How can he be 71? Only one song tells you his age and that's clearly done on purpose.
Go listen - and if you're not too busy reading the Daily Mail go listen to it again!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Oct 2013 10:59:32 BDT
Breadman says:
A very good post - and so true. I often dig out PM's old 70s albums and marvel at the tunes that I have forgotten about. We all know that his voice is not what it was, even from the late 90s, but you could make a very good compilation of his 21st Century stuff without contrasting his voice from now to 40 (!) years ago. Elton John's voice - at ten years younger - sounds like a pub singer these days, but I don't hear as much criticism of him.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2013 23:52:56 BDT
Antoine says:
Yes agreed, just listening to the album for the first time now and interesting to read what others think. It's odd the way some people will knock him and his post Beatles albums on the grounds that they aren't somehow chock full of classics but how many artists of his age and longevity can produce that? I'm not sure what people are expecting, another Sgt Pepper perhaps or a Revolver for the 21st century? It's another album to add to the huge back catalogue and it sounds fine to me and one I'm happy to listen to.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Oct 2013 19:48:31 BDT
Gladstone says:
Actually Elton is only 4 years and 9 months younger!
Perhaps if he didn`t tour so much his voice might be in better shape, but thats where his income is now, not from the sale of records.

Posted on 29 Dec 2013 15:07:12 GMT
Ciaran Flynn says:
Excellent review, I think every McCartney album has worthwhile tracks, was never a massive fan of McCartney II on its initial release overall but it has Coming up, Waterfalls and One of these days, 3 cracking tunes the rest are poor. Funnily I often come across a PM song when shuffling on my ipod that i can't remember and comes across as new or as you said songs i didnt like back in the day and now really like. I dont know why people bash him all the time, saying the Frog Chorus is rubbish for example, its for kids, for a cartoon, even still i think its a great little singalong song. Of course his voice is going but he will be dead a long time and we wont get anymore new songs so lets cherish every new album we do get. As for someone saying he is touring cause thats where the money is, rubbish, yes there is money to be made but he has 700million in the bank, i dont think he is doing it for the money, he plays for 2.5 hours, 39 songs the last time i seen him, he absolutely loves it, you can see it in him. If was doing it for the money he would charge 120 a ticket like Madonna did in Slane Castle and play 17 songs (1 hour 20 minutes), thats the difference.

Posted on 19 Nov 2014 21:46:00 GMT
Kim Hatton says:
seems like a fair review to me but what IS all this about the Daily Mail? You treat them as if they were part of his band. Who reads the rag - apart that is from you, or your wife.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›