4.0 out of 5 stars Wii U is a console, 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: Nintendo Wii U 32GB Premium Pack - Black (Video Game)
Firstly I would like to start by saying the Wii U is the successor to the Wii. They look similar but they are different consoles.
I am not a Nintendo's fan as the ones you can see over the net, but being a gamer for 22 years (my first console was a NES 8-bits) and nearly brought all Nintendo's console (as well as a PS1,PSP, PS3 and be given a Xbox) my review can be interpreted like being a fans review. Nevertheless I think I have a brain and I will be also critical on that product.

I wanted that console when it was first announced but the price tag (350) at launch put me off. After a while the price comes down and I grab it when it was on a special offer from Amazon which last one day (they put their price at the same level as Argos). Anyway I purchased the console knowing the sales of that console was not great (will come back to it). Because I am a fan of Mario kart and Zelda it was the console I have to buy.

If you have the choice between the 32 GB or 8 GB version, go for the 32 GB version cause it worth the extra s.. well in fact the 8 GB version is useless (unless you have a good bundle).

Now let's start by what's in the box:

- Wii U console
- Wii U gamepad controller
- Wii U AC/DC adapter
- Wi U gamepad adapter
- HDMI cable
- Wii sensor bar to use Wii peripheral (backward compatibility)
- Wii U plastic stand
- Papers and manual

Note:

1) if you already have a Wii, you don't bother to get the sensor bar out of the box.
2) The AC/DC adapter of the Wii is not compatible with the Wii U.
3) If you cannot use an HDMI cable for X or Y reason, you can still use the AV cable which came with the Wii. Having a CRT TV it works fine (you may have to set the picture right).

Installing the WII U (hardware).
- If you already have a Wii, you can use the peripherals of the Wii (except for the Adapter).
- If you never own a wii before it's not more challenging than a PS3/4 or Xbox360/1.
+ Just plug the HDMI or AV cable on your Wii U (see the back panel) and the other end on your TV.
+ Connect the sensor bar to the Wii U (see the back panel).
+ Plug one end of the Adapter on the Wii U and plug the other end of the adapter on the wall.
+ Charge the gamepad for 1 hour or 2 before switch the Wii U on.
+ when switch the Wii U on make sure you select the right video source.

Configure the Wii U (software):

To be frank I did not find any difficulties to set all the parameters, my internet, my screen resolution, my parental settings and other parameters took me 10 min top (not counting my mii creation). The longest thing I have to set up is my Mii (can't import your Mii from your Wii straight away).

It's a well known fact for gamers community but for those who do not know. You have a mandatory big system update to download after you settings up your internet. I will strongly recommend to do that first cause it will really improve the responsiveness of the system. FYI, I am with virgin and it took me 42 mins to download 2 Go + (I am on 20 Meg contract).

Now, one of the big flaw of Nintendo is the online account, if you did not have a Wii before then just create an Nintendo ID and a Nintendo account on Nintendo's website(yep they are not link by default...).

If you have a Wii/Nintendo account and want to transfer your data to the Wii U, then you need to allocate time. I won't go into details but the procedure can be long and not easy to understand on screen.

If you still plan to keep your Wii and play games you can't play on your Wii U (i.e. game cube games). There is one thing you need to do before that. Save all your data (Wii Saves, Channels) on a SD card (not the one you are going to use for the Data transfer) and your Mii on a Wii remote. What you need to know about the Wii/Wii U transfer is, you will need the Wii and Wii U plug in and both switch on. Personally I used one TV and one set of connectors for both consoles.

The console:

- It is worth to buy the Wii U? Well.. me being Nintendo consumer I would say yes but don't pay more than 200 (it's the same for PS4 and Xbox 1) on this console. The Wii was lacking of the HD capability and social network frame now with the wii U this matter has been resolved. One cool thing you can do with the gamepad is to stream Wii U games and Wii game on it, this mean an end to who has priority access on the TV. You can still be in the same room and do different things. The game pad add an extra to the existing Wii controller (which are still compatible). Do not listen to the media, cause I nearly make that mistake and I can tell you the Wii U is a beautiful piece of Hardware. If you still have a Wii, then 80-90% of it is still re-useable on the Wii U (hence the confusion for some consumers)

- What this console is aiming for? Casual gamer, young kids, Nintendo's fan base and optionally hard core gamers.

- Would it be better to have a PS4 or an Xbox1? yes and No. Here the main reasons for both camp.
Yes, cause 3rd part company betrayed Nintendo and they will prefer to develop for Sony and MS. Which translate by fewer games and less options on Wii U for multi-platform games. On the top of that if you are a COD fans or FIFA then PS4 or XB1 is the console to go cause EA won't develop any game on Wii U cause they think the console is for kids and not for hard core gamers. Both PS4 and XB1 have better online platform which mean better online game, TV services and online Entertainment.

No, because the same companies won't sell you half a game (FF-13-2,COD, ME3, Street fighter Vs tekken) and won't sell you the rest via DLC with the Wii U. The console is so different in term of hardware that 3rd party do not want to spend time optimising the software for the hardware. The gameplay is totally different on the Wii U, to be honest buying a PS4 or an Xbox1 is the same. Saying I would buy a PS4 if I had to choose cause MS being 100 more expensive, being the big brother thing couple with their DRM is a big no no. And if you look at most of the software from 3rd part studio for those consoles and how they develop their games. You will noticed Kinect is never use and the PS move is useless. If you are rich or can afford it, buy a Wii U first and PS4 or XB1 after.

If we do not take into account casual people who prefer to play sort of games (i.e. angry birds or Candy crush saga) on their mobile. Nintendo is being lazy in term of advertising (not being as aggressive as MS and Sony) and acting too late to prevent the confusion between the Wii and Wii U as result in poor sales but I can promise you the console is good and different from the two others. Personally I am not an online gamers and I have enough friends I can invite at home and have a tons of fun with while playing on the Wii/Wii U. The wii U comes with Netfix, youtube and love film apps and soon BBC Iplayer (which was the apps working better on Wii than PS3 or Xbox360, and I test it on all the console). Browsing the internet with the gamepad is so great!!!!!

Games:
Truth has to be say, the console lack of games, after one year. The Wii U library should be way better but bad press due to personal preference, lack of imagination within the game industry (everything has to be the same) and 3rd Part which do not want to assign more resources to optimised each hardware do not help the situation. The Wii U games does not come out as fast as it should be. Or when a 3rd part decide to do a game it's a very port from Xbox/PS.

The situation is not as gloom as it seems, the future 1st part game and 2nd part (studios where part of the development are paid by Nintendo) will solve the situation but it will be a long process. Meanwhile you can still play your Wii games or buy new ones which will look slightly better.

The review being long already I will do pro and cons
Cons:
- No a lot 3rd part games
- No online games (or few)
- Bad network account management
- Bad port from PS3/Xbox360 games
- Mii customisation could be better
- Miss the vote channel
- Lack of mature games
- Don't have the ability to play Blu-ray or DVD (this would have been a major seller point)
- Lack of consumer awareness
- Region lock
- Gamepad lost connection with the Wii U too often (very short time but it happen)
- Original gamepad battery offers 3 hours of game play and needs to be recharge often

Pro:
- Less abuse on DLC.
- More indies games friendly.
- Lot of digital games.
- Possibility to add an extra HDD (managed to hook 2 TB HDD).
- Different game play.
- Less emphasis on must have online gaming/option.
- As powerful as a PS4 or Xbox360 when developers know how to program.
- Good for young kids and parents.
- A Lot of potential in term of apps and gameplays
- Unify Nintendo ID between 3Ds and Wii U.
- HD capability.
- Can play Wii U game on TV or gamepad.
- Gamepad is very light (well it's for me).
- Backward compatibility with Wii peripheral and games.
- New gamepad battery give you 7 to 8 hours game plays.
- Mii universe is awesome apps which is a kind of facebook and online forum all together.
- Web browser on the gamepad is fast and light.

Will recommend this product for 2014 and onward

PS: You can even use your gamepad as a TV remote(my gamepad works better than mine original TV remote...)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Feb 2014 10:59:27 GMT
J. Ford says:
Thanks for the review, but think you meant 'successor to the Wii' or 'descendant of' rather than 'predecessor of'. Sorry for nitpicking!

Posted on 21 Feb 2014 23:28:06 GMT
rscccreece says:
hi. we the family have a premium black & I the dad have a basic white. both the same console bar the storage space. a hard drive solves the storage & is a cheap fix. people buy the one that suits best. I like your review but don't knock the white one. it has the same power & I recon it is now the best value buy. 189 with just dance 2014 pack, Wii u party & Nintendo land. this kit gives you 2 x official remotes + sensor bar. its a steal deal & we all want to play Mario kart yesterday. LOL

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Feb 2014 10:40:15 GMT
titiprime says:
Hello, yes you are right and I will correct it with others typo I made. At the end of the day any review has to be as clear as possible without any typo or any other sort of mistakes. Thank you for contributing and not jumping at my throat for this silly mistakes, I just hope you still like the review and it has been helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Feb 2014 10:48:11 GMT
titiprime says:
rscccreece, I am glad you got a good deal and the price seems very good value for this bundle. I should have mentioned don't buy the premium (unless it is a bundle). Saying that I would not advise anyone to buy the basic pack cause I really think it's not good value. Furthermore the premium pack allows more access to Nintendo's network and other advantage than a basic pack (commercial speaking). As for Mario Kart, I still play Mario kart Wii on my Wii U but can't wait for the Wii U version, if you look at the trailer of this game is just mega!!! Glad you have fun with you basic and/or premium pack.

Posted on 12 Apr 2014 13:38:17 BDT
People like you keep the world spinning round.

This has to be the best review i have ever read (well in the top 5 at least).

Thank you so much.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jun 2014 12:26:37 BDT
titiprime says:
Hello Christopher, sorry for the late reply and thank you very much for your kind words. I hope the review helped you to make your choice.

Posted on 3 Aug 2014 22:34:17 BDT
M Bellew says:
The Wii u , will never be as powerful as the PS4. I think you mean PS3.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Aug 2014 10:22:50 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Aug 2014 12:10:37 BDT
titiprime says:
I am not here to start a stupid console war, I really meant PS4. :-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (281 customer reviews)

249.99 229.99