5.0 out of 5 stars What Can I Say..., 20 May 2006
This review is from: Singles, The [+DVD] (Audio CD)
I think I should probably start off this review by telling you that I'm totally in love with Feeder's music, I love everything they've done from the rough edges of the Two Colours EP to this new singles album.

I waited with baited breath for several months, ever since I got the e-mail from Feederweb telling me that the album was in the pipeline, knowing I wouldn't be disappointed. I already had most of the tracks from the album, and knew them back to front, before I even clapped eyes on it. I had a minor heart attack when the university post room was broken into and I thought somebody might have stolen my CD, but luckily it arrived the next day.

The album does exactly what it says on the tin; it is Feeder's singles (albeit not all of them). There's absolutely no reason for this CD not to be in everyone's collection. I defy anyone not to jump around to Buck Rogers - Feeder's most famous single. For the last 5 years people have been hearing Feeder's songs on the radio, in clubs, in films, even on videogames. For those who don't like Feeder enough to buy one of their albums, here are all the songs you know and love, together on one CD.

Grant Nicholas knows how to put together a good record, and with the songs at his disposal this album is no exception. It's all too easy to go down the "chronological order" path but this CD has been put together in a way that flows. Lots of singles albums lack the continuity of an album that has been written all together but I don't think that accusation can be levelled at this effort.

The new songs on the album aren't brilliant, but they'll still be welcomed into my vast collection of Feeder material. Some less-enthusiastic listeners also mightn't be knocked out by lesser-known, pre-Echo Park tracks such as Suffocate and Yesterday Went too Soon. There's also a few dodgy (to say the least!) early videos on the DVD, heavier tracks such as Stereo World and Tangerine won't cut it with most of the new wave of Feeder fans. But you must remember that they were still very much a band finding their voice and their place at that point and those songs can be enjoyed in the context of what has been released since.

Unfortunately, with the limitations on time on a CD Feeder couldn't possibly fit all their singles onto one disc, but if you buy the DVD version, you will get all of them in video form. Even the Piece by Piece video, which was never actually released as a single dontchaknow.

My only complaint is that picking songs in this way inevitably misses out some of the best ones. Everyone has their own personal favourites, and whilst my beloved Just a Day is included, so many of my favourite Feeder songs were never released so don't make the album. Indeed, some of my favourites are b-sides. The only way to solve this problem is to buy the entire Feeder back catalogue, which isn't even as expensive as it sounds these days. Me, I'll just have to make do with my own "Best of Feeder" playlist on my mp3 player!

This album is a celebration of a brilliant band that has been performing consistently on the British rock scene for 10 years now. Here's hoping there's more to come from Grant and the boys because there's still nothing that gets my spine tingling quite like the news of a new Feeder album.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]