3.0 out of 5 stars A word of warning, 25 Jan 2009
This review is from: How To Be A Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking (Hardcover)
Nigella Lawson's written style is colourful and ebullient and she coaxes you into trying these recipes like you're a close friend. But my word her oven is from a different planet to mine. I have tried her brownies, muffins, kuchen, various breads and biscuits from this book and ALL of them have needed dramatically longer cooking time (in some cases double). And this is in a variety of ovens, all with the same results. In fact, I have taken to annotating this book with my own temperatures and timings (as a general rule, notch the gas down slightly from her setting and add half as much cooking time again).

Newer editions may have amended this (they certainly fixed the error that had me making banana loaf in a 1lb tin rather than a 2lb), but judging from the scarily short cooking times Nigella gives for roast turkey in her new Christmas book, I doubt it.

That being said, the photography is a work of art on its own. Drool over this book, then go and make a Mary Berry instead.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Dec 2009 20:41:53 GMT
jce says:
i agree, the brownies being an issue i had too, there was no way they would be ready in nigellas cooking times. However i do love this book, and i think if you are a reasonable cook you can kind of work round the cooking time issue. the recipes themselves are great anyway, and i love the way the book is written.

Posted on 14 May 2010 10:53:02 BDT
I guess timings are a guideline only and should be treated as such. You've made a valid point as this could quite easily knock the confidence of a novice. I am someone who doesn't like meat etc overcooked so they work well for me, on the whole. However, I cannot comment on the recipes that you have highlighted.

Posted on 20 Nov 2010 12:34:27 GMT
cooncat says:
having just replaced my cooker of 15 years I have found that everything needs to be cooked in the oven at a setting 10 degree higher than in my previous oven. Ovens are obviously not all the same.

Posted on 14 Apr 2011 12:47:50 BDT
D. J. Warren says:
I've actually found I have to decrease the temperatures and decrease the cooking times in my oven!

Posted on 6 Sep 2012 09:07:53 BDT
jo wilkins says:
As everyone seems to agree all ovens are different and you should know your own cooker and make judgments to obtain the perfect results, make a note on the page so next time you'll remember, I find this usefull. I must confess I sometime change ingredients too!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2013 08:07:21 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Jan 2013 08:07:46 GMT
Dr Seuss says:
That's a really good idea, Jo Wilkins!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›