5.0 out of 5 stars The Blu-ray truly is region free, 22 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall - Double Play (Blu-ray + DVD) [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
This review is targetted more to those outside of Europe who may be interested in purchasing this. I live in the US and I just received my copy of "Phanton of the Oprea at Royal Albert Hall" by way of Amazon.com UK. Contrary to the info on this page the Blu-ray version is region free and will play on any machine regardless of location. Therefore anyone who wants can pick this up from Amazon.com UK without having to wait for the February 2012 release in the States. The DVD is region locked unfortunately. Rather than this page reading "Region B/2" it should actually read "Region free/2,4,5" (see my EDIT section below).

Now on to the review: The performances were excellent and the show in general was well filmed. There seemed to be a lot of chemistry between the two leads and they did not disappoint. I was only bothered by the use of the LCD screen in the stage background which I found distracting. It was definitely a five star viewing experience.

EDIT: I thought I would add a little more information on the region encodings of the DVD disc that is in this set. According to the ALW Really Useful Group website the DVD will play in region 2, 4, and 5. Regions 1 and 3 are out of luck. Since I have a Region 1 player I personally cannot play the DVD.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Nov 2011 12:39:12 GMT
Oh Kyung Sun says:
Do you mean that this one wouldn't play in Region A blu-ray player? (sorry, I just want to make sure that I understood correctly. English is not my first language.) I live in South Korea, so blu-ray must be in region A and.. for DVD.. no solution because it's region 3.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2011 16:38:42 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Nov 2011 16:45:06 GMT
Paul Wilson says:
The blu-ray will play on a region A player. Region free means that it will play in all regions (A, B, and C) so you will not have any problems. My player is region A just like yours.

You are correct about the DVD. You will not be able to play that.

Posted on 21 Jan 2012 19:09:19 GMT
Mary says:
To Paul Wilson, thanks for your review of the Phantom Albert Hall. I am in Canada, Region 1 so thanks for your comments about BluRay being able to play in Region 1 but not the DVD though I have a region free DVD player which may play the DVD version as well, but if not, you said the BluRay version will play ok on a Region 1 DVD player. Can you tell me what do you mean by an LCD screen in the background? Was it there for the entire performance? what was the purpose of it? Thanks for information.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jan 2012 05:12:31 GMT
Oh Kyung Sun says:
I watched the film a few weeks ago in a cinema, and I can tell you about the LCD screen.
Yes, it was there for the entire performance. In my view, it was used to give some more detailed scenery (backgrounds), and as a device to subserve the stage set because it was not exactly the same as the usual performance.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jan 2012 06:46:05 GMT
Mary says:
Kyung Sun - Thanks for your reply. I think I would probably need to see the movie for myself to fully understand the LCD screen. I should get the movie!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›