5.0 out of 5 stars You Get What You Pay For, 16 Jun. 2010
This review is from: QuietComfort® 15 headphones - Black with - Silver accents (Electronics)
If you are reading this review then you are probably in two minds about whether to buy these headphones, because, let's face it, they are very costly.

I too agonised for ages over the less expensive options on the market before eventually taking the plunge and getting a set of these. Here's what clinched it for me.

The noise-cancelling is the most effective of any I've tried - and I've tried comparable models from Sony, Sennheiser, Audio-Technica and Goldring.

The sound quality is extremely good. You simply will not get audiophile sound quality from any noise cancelling headphones. There will always be a trade-off between the naturalness of the listening experience and the frequency intervention and closed back design necessary for the noise cancelling to work effectively. Personal taste is always a factor when listening to headphones. I find these provide a very high standard of audio quality and they perform equally well across a wide variety of different types of music. Also, they sound even better once they've been played in for a few hours. There's absolutely none of the background hiss that is discernible on some of the less expensive noise cancelling headphones I've tested. Nor is there any sound leakage to annoy those around you - a problem that afflicts several of the cheaper options.

They are extremely comfortable. I have other good quality non-noise cancelling headphones, but these are by far the most comfortable cans I own to wear for long periods. I've been known to forget I've got them on.

The build quality is very good. Some people mistake the lightness of these headphones for flimsiness. They are designed with the traveller in mind. Consequently, Bose have built them to be both very light and very durable. Some people have complained that the cable is thin and therefore liable to break. However, it's no thinner than the cable on a set of in-ear phones and I don't find myself breaking those all the time - in fact, I've never broken the cable on a set of in-ear phones. I don't see the problem.

It's true that these headphones will only work when powered by an AAA battery. But so what? Most other noise cancelling headphones that do continue to work after the battery has run out do so with no noise cancelling, lower volume and muddy sound. Personally, I'd rather not listen to music on that basis anyway. There's plenty of room to store at least two spare batteries in the well-designed case that comes with these headphones . Each battery lasts in excess of 35hrs. Once again, where's the problem?

Buy them. There's none better on the market. Sure, it'll hurt for a few minutes but you'll be glad that you bit the bullet.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Aug 2010 14:17:38 BDT
You said:

"absolutely none of the background hiss that is discernible on some of the less expensive noise cancelling headphones I've tested"

I have a pair of these headphones and in a quiet room with no music playing I can hear a quiet hiss when I switch the headphones on. I can't hear it at all in a loud room or with music playing. But it is audible in a quiet room with say a audio book playing. I wondered if mine were faulty but Bose said a small amount of hiss is normal.

Are yours also totally silent even in a quiet room with no music playing but the headphones on?

Posted on 17 Sep 2010 13:47:21 BDT
G says:
Paul W, they are clearly a Bose employee because I too have a pair of these and I can also hear a slight hiss in a quiet room.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Sep 2010 13:55:12 BDT
Paul says:
I'm glad to hear its not just me! I almost returned them thinking it was a fault but sounds to me its just the way they work.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2010 20:13:57 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Dec 2010 20:20:59 GMT
Such cynicism! I assure you I don't work for Bose.

I've checked again and I can't hear any hiss on my pair of QC15, but I'm in my mid-fifties and had a mis-spent youth playing in dodgy rock bands, so it's very possible that you have better hearing than I do. However, I could hear very audible hiss on all of the other pairs of noise cancelling headphones I tried by other manufacturers, so in my opinion these are still the best on the market.

One last thing - noise cancelling headphones in a quiet room: why would you bother to do that? Horses for courses mate - if perfection's your thing then save up and buy some Grado GS1000i's.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2010 20:24:12 GMT
Paul says:
Good point - the Bose should have a way of bypassing the noise cancelling when not needed as in a quiet room. Alternative is carrying 2 headphones around which is not ideal.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2011 10:40:08 GMT
G says:
Rather presumptuous Hollis...

1. I own one pair of headphones. These.
2. A quiet room is a STANDARD measure of how well the noise canceling circuity works.

Fact.

Posted on 7 Aug 2012 23:24:51 BDT
Nick says:
Two years on i know. But for anyone reading now, hiss is dependable on the source too.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›